Winchester Model 70 .458 WinMag - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester Model 70 .458 WinMag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Beautiful, Jon! Mod 70 is as good as they come (though that CZ550 is pretty nice, too).

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Beautiful, Jon! Mod 70 is as good as they come (though that CZ550 is pretty nice, too).
the winchester is my second ever centerfire rifle and by far my favorite. my first was a colt sp1 so i went from 223 to 458 winmag. bought it when i was 21. i still remember the gunstore owner shaking his head at a kid that really wanted a winchester 458 lol. it also forced me to start reloading to be able to afford to shoot it.

im sure that gunshop guy thought he was gonna make a bit of money when i brought it back after shooting lol. but he did try very hard to talk me out of it and into a 30-06 instead.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-07-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2463 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Jon,

That is a nice rifle! When you look at a good rifle you can just sense the quality just by looking at it. Someday I would love to find a real nice pre-64 Winchester in 30-06. But I like your 458 "NICE!" And the fact that a young man of 21 purchased it is Great! I bet the guy at the Gun Shop did think you would be back!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jon,

That is a nice rifle! When you look at a good rifle you can just sense the quality just by looking at it. Someday I would love to find a real nice pre-64 Winchester in 30-06. But I like your 458 "NICE!" And the fact that a young man of 21 purchased it is Great! I bet the guy at the Gun Shop did think you would be back!

My shooting partner has a very clean pre-64 in .30-06 that he is probably selling.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

thanks the old winchesters are indeed the best looking rifles produced in america. i just wish i had known about the super grade back then i would have waited to get one till i had the money.

i read a lot of stuff on african hunting and shooting big bore rifles before i took the first shot. i had 6 months to research everything i could find about them considering there was no real interweb back then it wasnt easy finding real info. i used the library at UT texas and SWT sanmarcos texas along with local libraries.

touching off that first 510grain elephant bullet was scary as hell. i fired one shot that first day. a week later i was back at the range and fired the other 19. i fell in love with the thing. after that i bought my first loading manual and press. it had open sights which are currently in the gun safe and for about a year thats what i left on it.

i soon bought an old weaver k3 or k4, i get it mixed up, off a guy at a gunshow for 20$. it was an el paso made scope with post reticle. that was one TOUGH scope it last until 3 years ago when it started to lose zero round to round. we are talking several thousand 458 magnum shots over the course of 20 years.

i dont always use the big 510 bullets most of the time its 350 or 400 grn loads. in that rifle its about like a 12ga 3inch mag slug in felt recoil. whenever i go to the range with it a crowd soon forms its not something people run across everyday.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Winchester Super Express

I purchased my Super Express in the middle 80s,and if I was to be limited to one rifle in would be my Mod.70 S.E.
Mine is chambered for the .375 H&H and is beautifully accurate as well as being enough gun for anything I want to hunt.
After I destroyed a couple of scopes I went to a M4 Leupold fixed 4x and have had no more problems.
As far as I'm concerned the Mod.70 S.E. is one of the very best.
Dan

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain