Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Winchester mod. 70 bolt help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/winchester-mod-70-bolt-help-85804/)

Wally89 03-05-2013 05:46 AM

Winchester mod. 70 bolt help

iI have a Winchester Mod. 70 in 30-06 (7.62x63mm) with controlled push feed action.
The "controlled push feed" has had feeding problems while hunting. I am wondering if I can replace the bolt (or just the bolt head & handle not the safety & firing pin) with the Mauser (controlled feed) one from a pre 64 long action model (obviously it has to be for the same caliber) would it fit if I bought one or not.

nitestalker 03-05-2013 05:55 AM

No they will not interchange. :)

Wally89 03-05-2013 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. So the receiver is different then I was curious looks like the only difference is the bolt & possibly the ejector & based on this pic the slots in the barrel for the locking lugs. I've had trouble with it feeding while deer hunting & my dads old FN made Mauser 98 has never had any wish I knew the difference when I got it in 2004. would it be possible to make it fit with a different barrel or possibly some minor re-machining ?

Axxe55 03-05-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally89 (Post 1164136)
Thanks. So the receiver is different then I was curious looks like the only difference is the bolt & possibly the ejector & based on this pic the slots in the barrel for the locking lugs. I've had trouble with it feeding while deer hunting & my dads old FN made Mauser 98 has never had any wish I knew the difference when I got it in 2004. would it be possible to make it fit with a different barrel or possibly some minor re-machining ?

by the time you spent the money on machining, if it were even possible and the parts needed, you could have bought a custom made rifle.

just take it to a competent gunsmith and let him fix the feed issue.

Wally89 03-05-2013 12:56 PM

Thats what I would like to know what is the difference & is it possible. The feed issue is due to the inherent flaw of the action itself & cant be fixed by any gun smith.

JonM 03-07-2013 01:01 AM

replacing the bolt assembly would also need to replace the reciever. at that point you might as well look for a nice used pre64 or one of the classic versions which are the same design as the pre64.

unrealiability in feeding is why you dont see push feed in african dangerous game rifles

Wally89 03-07-2013 04:43 AM

Thanks I was wondering if the Mauser action/ pre 64 ones now made by FN were exactly the same as original pre 64 ones. meaning parts from ones made before 64 will accept parts from current production ones using the pre 64 (Mauser pattern & vice versa ) if the were both the same caliber & Either long or short action.

Wally89 03-07-2013 04:55 AM

& Yeah feeding problems are the reason the US military stopped buying them after the switch & use the Remington 700 with the Mauser claw the latest version is the XM-2010 & the version of the AWF they use has a Mauser type bolt as do many high end bolt action rifles made around the world didn't know that when I bought mine was 15 but most people don't understand the difference I've used My dads old Mauser 98 K pattern made by FN & never had any problems with it.

greydog 03-07-2013 05:19 AM

The post-64 receiver and bolt are longerthan the pre-64. The post 64 classic or the Model 70 made by FN is the same length but your receiver lacks the ejector blade and the cut for it. There are other differences related to the firing mechanism which are also different on the FN-built guns.
In the end, if you want a CRF action, you need to buy a CRF action. GD

Wally89 03-07-2013 01:16 PM

Thanks I'm sure others have wondered the same thing.