Winchester M1 Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester M1 Carbine

I recently came across a Winchester made M1 Carbine with a 7 digit serial number 645****. I don't want to discuss how much I paid for it but I'm starting to wonder if I was taken for a sucker.

I have tried searching all over the internet to figure out when it was made and some sort of value but I have not been able to find any serialization information. From what I've read on other sites and posts I have gathered that it was made after 1945 but that's about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
-Lara

I can post pictures if needed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

M1 carbines are difficult collector items. there are so bloody many of em and there are no real records of what goes with what. most M1 carbines were assembled from spare parts in armories around the world after being stripped down and re-assemble many times.

some stampings command high prices but there isnt a real value to them as say ww2 and ww1 issue 1911's. there isnt a maker that was really better than another. the rifle was designed to be a stop gap arm in a time of need and little thought was giving to record keeping. amny M1s were field modified. part of the sight in procedure was for the unit armorer to actually file the front sight themsleves to battle sight zero the weapon or just hand it out and let the indivual soldier deal with it.

parts were yanked out and replaced at random so the only thing that really matters is the barrel stamp.

people like to collect rock-olas but they are no better or worse than any of the other carbines.

im sure someone else will be along shortly to correct any errors i have made

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure if you had bought the firearm as an investment you would of done more research prior to the purchase. If you bought the firearm for it's appeal and to add to your collection, whatever you paid for the firearm probably wasn't too much.

Cherish your new firearm as it's an extension of your 2nd Amendments rights and remember your firearms are part of your legacy.

IMHO everyone should own at least one M1 carbine. That way we keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Near as I can figure, and I am no expert or carbine collector, yours was originally manufactured between November of 1944 to January of 1945.

Whats it worth? Probably not as much as it will be in 10 years. All GI Carbines have pretty much been going up in value from day one. Winchester made ones are popular and good to own.

My Winchester in the pic cost $60.00 back in the early 1960s from the DCM and I wouldn't take $1500.00 for it today, but thats just me! Hang onto it and enjoy it, great little rifle, shoot the snot out of it.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Stick around! And by all means, please post a few pics of the new rifle, we love to see what other people have! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The more parts that match, the more desirable the carbine is. So check that out. If it's mostly matching, that is definitely a good thing. If it's completely matching, then chances are that someone more recently made it that way.

It doesn't matter if you bought it to shoot. As long as the barrel is decent and it shoots okay, you're good to go.

I suggest cleaning the heck out of it and changing out the op rod spring. Then shoot the heck out of it.

Here's a good informational reference: Collecting and Shooting the U.S. M1 .30 Caliber Carbine - HISTORY

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams