Winchester 94AE Trapper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester 94AE Trapper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Winchester 94AE Trapper

I was at the gun shop where I used to work earlier today trying to find a reasonably priced .44 Magnum for camping this summer. There was a used Super Blackhawk, but I think I'd prefer a double action. Anyway, no joy.

So I looked at used rifles. I want a short rifle for camping as well. The plan is to be in the woods, not at some campground, so I'd like a little horsepower.

I thought about a KelTec SU 16 for portability, but they're out of my price range. And while they're cheap to shoot, .223 seems anemic for the woods.

So, I was looking at this and that when my buddy came out of the safe with a Winchester 94AE Trapper Carbine in .30-30 with the 16" barrel. It looks new and was a safe queen and we know who owned it as well.

It has the large loop lever which, quite frankly, I'm not all that crazy about, but that's small potatoes. The walnut is beautiful and has some awfully nice grain.

My bud gave me a great price, so it's on layaway. I sold the Mohawk, and I'm selling my Sporter project 10/22, so I'll actually be a wee bit ahead. But I'll have a great packing rifle.

It's in Kalifornia Gun Jail for the next ten days, but I'll post pics as soon as I bail it out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-10-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Do any of you Winchester guys have any idea if the large loop was standard? The serial number is: 62192XX.

I've always been a Marlin guy, but I fell in love with this one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't wait for the pics, CA!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I can't wait just to be able to see it. Stinkin' Kalifornia.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #5

What gun store? I'm sure FTF wouldn't mind a plug for a Sacramento gun shop!! Not Wild Sports, perhaps Sacramento Armory?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

River City Gun Exchange.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #7

Ahhhhh!! A place to visit in March!!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Let me know when you're coming down and we'll grab lunch or something. You've been to Bud's, maybe we'll have to get burgers at Willies.

BTW, Sacramento Armory has been out of business for a couple of years now.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #9

Congrats on the 94AE it's a great gun.

I just brought home a standard 94 in 30-30 today. It was made in 1976 so it's not a collectible or anything, but nevertheless I've wanted a Model 94 since I was a kid. I remember checking them out at Western Auto Stores years ago. If memory serves Western Auto would price the 94's for $99.99 on SALE. Wish they were still that price

Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Congratulations Bexar. Enjoy your rifle.