It's really pretty easy and the Uncle Mikes come with detailed instructions that includes bit sizes for the pilot holes. It's actually a two-step process. Here's how I do it:
1. Put a piece of blue painters tape or masking tape over the spot where you want to mount the swivel stud. Mark the spot with "X" and center punch it or use a nail. I placed mine about 2" from the end of the buttplate.
2. Drill the bigger pilot hole first to about 1/8" deep.
3. Drill the second smaller pilot hole in the center of of the bigger hole to a depth of about 5/16" deep. Remove the protective tape.
4. Put the white spacer washer on the sling stud and screw the stud into the pilot hole until it is tightly seated in the bottom of the bigger pilot holt.
5. Attach the sling swivel to the stud and you're done.