Winchester 94
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester 94

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester 94

So I have a couple questions about my new rifle that I think you guys can help me out with.

First: Should I take the rifle apart and clean it or just go shooting?
Second: How do I take the rifle apart, is there a manual so I don't screw anything up?
Third: Is there any machining I need to get done on this? I'm sure it's going to shoot great for what I want it for but there may be some improvements that are useful.
Fourth: For anybody who missed my intro thread, anywhere I can buy ammo for a little less money? $25 seems a little steep for a 30-30 round.
Fifth: Is there a round that I can't use in this rifle? I've heard I can only use a round tip for some reason.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you are not familiar with the rifle, do not disassemble it! Take it to a gunsmith and have him look it over for you. While you're there, have him show you how to clean and lubricate it. It will be well worth the money.

Here's some links for some online ammunition. Don't forget there will be shipping costs as well.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

Rifle Ammunition - .30-30 at Sportsman's Guide

30-30 : Ammunition To Go

Ammo Rifle - Natchez Shooters Supplies

30-30 WINCHESTER Ammunition for Sale Online - Able Ammo

You can find many more. It looks like .30-30 is running around 75 cents to over a dollar a round. That would have been expensive a year or so ago, unfortunately, now it's about average.

As far as "improvements", leave it alone, it's a classic rifle and changes will ruin it and its value. If you want to customize a rifle to your tastes, that's perfectly fine, but find another rifle where the changes won't matter.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 01-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
As far as "improvements", leave it alone, it's a classic rifle and changes will ruin it and its value. If you want to customize a rifle to your tastes, that's perfectly fine, but find another rifle where the changes won't matter.
That's what I firgured too but just had to ask. I do love this rifle though and I think I'm asking strange questions like that one because I'm excited about it.

I will be talking to a gunsmith in the near future so that's on it's way too, thanks as well for all of the ammo links.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're doing it right WiP, It's better to ask questions and do the research before jumping into something. I know, because I learned it the hard way.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #5

I'm trying to anyways. I was also wondering how cost effective it is to reload this round. $15 a box isn't bad but I hear it can save you money and improve accuracy which makes a lot of sense. I'll be heading over to the reload forum today and doing a lot of research but I was just curious about this one thing first.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
I'm trying to anyways. I was also wondering how cost effective it is to reload this round. $15 a box isn't bad but I hear it can save you money and improve accuracy which makes a lot of sense. I'll be heading over to the reload forum today and doing a lot of research but I was just curious about this one thing first.
Figure the cost for components and do the math. Initial setup of hardware will be around $110 for a Lee setup which has press, scale and powder measure. Dies will be around $15 to $20. Powder, primers, bullets and brass you can google costs. These numbers are for Lee hardware which is a better value for the most part for someone starting out.

Ok, quick edit: Running some quick numbers with components easily found, this could be loaded for under 65 cents. Obviously, the components can be found cheaper and the reuse of brass reduces the cost over time as well.

Last edited by Dcomf; 01-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Figure the cost for components and do the math. Initial setup of hardware will be around $110 for a Lee setup which has press, scale and powder measure. Dies will be around $15 to $20. Powder, primers, bullets and brass you can google costs. These numbers are for Lee hardware which is a better value for the most part for someone starting out.

Ok, quick edit: Running some quick numbers with components easily found, this could be loaded for under 65 cents. Obviously, the components can be found cheaper and the reuse of brass reduces the cost over time as well.
That's pretty impressive and thanks for all of the help. That's a lot less expensive than I thought to start my own reloading. I might have to talk to my Dad about this because he has a lot of expensive rifle and pistol rounds to shoot.

Also, I just purchased 6 boxes of rounds so I'm on my way to blowing apart some paper.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Save your brass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
That's pretty impressive and thanks for all of the help. That's a lot less expensive than I thought to start my own reloading. I might have to talk to my Dad about this because he has a lot of expensive rifle and pistol rounds to shoot.

Also, I just purchased 6 boxes of rounds so I'm on my way to blowing apart some paper.
Keep your brass for hand load at a later date. No you do not want to use pointed type bullets in a 30-30 lever gun. In a tubular magazine there is a chance of setting off a primer. Only load blunt nose bullets in your Model 94. Good luck with your new prize, and have fun..

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Forget about "taking it apart" more guns have been damaged or destroyed for purposes of cleaning than from neglect. You dont have to ever disassemble to proper clean most actions. Simply open the action and hose it down with an aresol gun cleaner, let it dry out and spray with rem-oil type of rust preservitive.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
Dee

I've been shooting the same Winchester Model 94 3030 for 53 years. Front to back, back to front I know this rifle. I carried it in a patrol car, I carried it when I was tracking escapees, and some very bad men have looked at the opposite end I was looking at, and made the right decision to go peaceable.
I killed my first called in coyote with it in 1969, and it is still my got to dependable rifle at age 61. The rifle itself was bought new in 1958. I originally put a Lyman model 66 receiver sight on it many years ago, along with a post front sight for maximum accuracy, and a year or so ago went to a Marbles tang sight as the eyes continue to age. I will hit the bottom of 1 gallon water jugs laid on their side (7" square) all day long at 250 yards, and a deer a 300 yds, just is not a big deal.
I hear so-called gun experts make comments about the 3030 being good only to about 150 yards, and I don't even respond anymore. As I said. I have 53 years experience with this fine rifle, and although I used the M4, and the shotgun on occasions, My go to is the Winchester Model 94 3030. I will take anything walkin on the north American continent, and seldom use anything but the 150 grain jacketed RN soft point. Seldom over the years have I felt the need for the 170 grain flat point. I hand load everything I shoot, and load this 150 grainer at 2400fps, and never look back.
Enjoy Your rifle.