Winchester 94 .30-30 or Henry .30-30? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester 94 .30-30 or Henry .30-30?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Winchester was made flat and short to ride comfortable under a leg while mounted on a horse. It was the rifle of the woodsman and rancher. There are other rifles with levers but there is only one Winchester.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thanks everyone for the input

Thanks to all for your input. I had the same opinion as most of you had so I went for the Wichester 94 Carbine .30-30. I like the traditional look of the carbine. I guess my main concern was that I read somewhere that Wnchesters are stamped vs. machined so I wasn't sure if the consensus would still support the Winchester at the current price. It turns out not to be an issue from what I can tell - no one mentioned that so I didn't let that keep me from getting the Winchester.

I agree with one of the comments that something about the Henry didn't look quite right and I hadn't seen or considered the Marlin's.

Now if people would just calm down and stop the feeding frenzy on ammo maybe I could get some rounds for it!
Gonzilla Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

Learn to reload. The .30 WCF is where many of us first learned to reload. You will enjoy shooting your own home brewed ammo.
Gonzilla Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reloading - where do you learn to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Learn to reload. The .30 WCF is where many of us first learned to reload. You will enjoy shooting your own home brewed ammo.
Not sure what restrictions our great state government has placed on reloading supplies - sure they let you reload but might not let you have what it takes to do it - they know what's best for us of course.

I've never done any reloading - where does one go to learn something like that? Is the powder etc. readily available?

Of course I assume that you have to buy some rounds in order to get the shells to reload - or can you buy empty shells? Somehow it seems potentially dangerous! How do you store the reloading supplies? They need to be kept dry and in a spark proof container I would imagine.

I am very mechanically inclined so I'm sure I would have no problem picking it up quickly - just don't want to introduce any unnecessary paranoia in my household. My girlfriend is Chinese and only knows the receiving end of a gun and isn't real thrilled that I own more than I can hold at one time!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #15

I don't know of any state that prohibits reloading of normal supplies. Stop by any Gun Shop that sells reloading supplies. They will be able to introduce you to reloading. They will not have answers to your romantic or domestic problems. I think that is some thing you will have to deal with. This is a shooting forum we do not do well with marital problems.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Powder and primers probably won't be any easier to find than loaded ammo right now. New cases are available from a number of places. Reloading lets you tailor your loads to your gun and lets you shoot more for the same money.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Powder and primers probably won't be any easier to find than loaded ammo right now. New cases are available from a number of places. Reloading lets you tailor your loads to your gun and lets you shoot more for the same money.
I think you are right about availability of the raw materials. I checked Midway and they are not even taking backorders for casings, bullets etc. The gun control measures went no where as expected - but the panic seems to continue unabated. Not sure how much of this is panic buying vs. government orders using up all the manufacturing capability. If manufacturers were producing consumer rounds at capacity I can't imagine there would be a shortage. Certainly they have the capacity to produce enough rounds to meet demand if that capacity were not being used for other non-civilian orders.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I don't know of any state that prohibits reloading of normal supplies. Stop by any Gun Shop that sells reloading supplies. They will be able to introduce you to reloading. They will not have answers to your romantic or domestic problems. I think that is some thing you will have to deal with. This is a shooting forum we do not do well with marital problems.
Understood - she'll get over it anyway. She grew up under MAO so has a programmed fear of guns having seen the Red Guard successfully eliminate those that would not keep in line. She is starting to understand that without an armed civilian population you end up with a guy like MAO at the helm.
readygirl Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1368 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Hell its possible we cause marital problems. (money spent on guns and ammo)