Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   winchester 300 win mag stocks and barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/winchester-300-win-mag-stocks-barrels-49542/)

razorbaq 10-09-2011 07:12 AM

winchester 300 win mag stocks and barrels

Ok so today I bought a winchester model 70, .300 win mag. I've never owned a rifle this big the only reason I bought it was I thought the 300 dollar price tag was a good deal. Well I've been looking around and seen one that had a nice mcmillan stock and a bull barrel with a muzzle brake. Well I cannot find stocks or bull barrels anywhere, Does anyone know where aftermarket stocks and barrels are sold for the model 70 300 winmag? I would atleast like to put a bolt on muzzle brake on it to try and tame it down a little bit. And a tactical mcmillan style of stock would be nice.

Axxe55 10-09-2011 09:13 AM

check out McMillan stocks, they offer several that fit Winchester M70 actions.

razorbaq 10-09-2011 02:55 PM

Anyone know a site for the barrels

Axxe55 10-09-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorbaq (Post 597256)
Anyone know a site for the barrels

Shillen, Mcgowan, Krieger, Lilja, Hart plus more. just google custom rifle barrels, it will come back with many sources. why do you want to change the barrel?

razorbaq 10-09-2011 03:30 PM

Well I would imagine Its not really gona make much of a difference, I always like a bull barrel on my other smaller bore rifles to cut down on heat and seems like accuracy is a little better, Although I doubt I will be busting as many rounds through this as I do on my .223 or rimfire rifles. The barrel thats on it now Is very accurate all though it seems like it has been shot alot, Not real rough but is a little bit, So I would like to put a new barrel on it so I figure just go with bull barrel and would like to have a bull barrel with built in muzzle brake or flash suppressor.

hardluk1 10-09-2011 03:38 PM

You will spend between 1000 and 1600 dollar to do what you want. You have a stock name you want and axxe55 listed barrels . Now find a great smithy to deal with To put it all together. Don't forget a match grade trigger assembly too and a 600 to 2000 dollars worth of scope and mounts to with with a up graded barrel and stock.

Might be better to sell that winny and look at savage palma or leo line of rifles to find what you would like and save some aggravation and money

Axxe55 10-09-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 597281)
You will spend between 1000 and 1600 dollar to do what you want. You have a stock name you want and axxe55 listed barrels . Now find a great smithy to deal with To put it all together. Don't forget a match grade trigger assembly too and a 600 to 2000 dollars worth of scope and mounts to with with a up graded barrel and stock.

Might be better to sell that winny and look at savage palma or leo line of rifles to find what you would like and save some aggravation and money

hardluk is right, i bought a brand new bare remington M700 action, by the time it gets back from McGowan i will have about $1400 in the barreled action. now if recoil is the main culprit here, find a gunsmith that can thread the barrel and install a muzzle brake and put on a good recoil pad, then you will take a lot of the felt recoil out of the rifles. i have shot many large caliber magnums that were muzzle braked, that felt more like a 25-06 or 308!

mrm14 10-09-2011 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go...

Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks, Hunting Stocks, Benchrest Stocks, Competition Stocks

Home Krieger Barrels

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page

Elite Iron High Quality Suppressors

Jewell Triggers at MidwayUSA

Scope Rings | Badger Ordnance

Attachment 33670

Attachment 33671

Barrel---Krieger #9 Heavy Target (MTU) or Bartlein #7 MTU
Stock--- McMillan A-5
1" Decel Pad on butt of A-5 stock
You'll have to search for detachable magazine bottom metal if you want this feature on your rifle. I'm not sure who makes good ones for the Model 70 Winchester. I prefer AI magazines as they are very reliable so try to find the bottom metal that accepts the AI magazines.

Axxe55 10-10-2011 03:37 AM

mrm14, is there as much aftermarket support for the winchester M70 as there is for the remington M700? i know many years ago the M70 was one of the go to actions for building custom rifles, and even the army and marine corps fielded a few for sniper rifles during the vietnam war. i am not as familar with the M70 as i am with the M700. i do know that they were very good rifles and still command premium prices.

mrm14 10-10-2011 06:20 AM

The Remington 700 has more aftermarket supprot for custom parts and pieces than the Winchester model 70. A great deal of aftermarket recievers such as Surgeons, BAT, Pierce Stiller, etc... are externally patterned after the Remingtion 700 action. It's just the way it is.