Winchester .223 Useful or just eye candy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester .223 Useful or just eye candy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Winchester .223 Useful or just eye candy?

I have yet to own any rifles. I am a handgun man. However I have found a guy who wants to sell his brand new, in the box, Winchester Model 70 at .223 cal. Lets just be honest and say I am looking for a good rifle for sniping invaders from 300 meters or so. Is this rifle too weak to be effective?

Guy wants about $575

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I have yet to own any rifles. I am a handgun man. However I have found a guy who wants to sell his brand new, in the box, Winchester Model 70 at .223 cal. Lets just be honest and say I am looking for a good rifle for sniping invaders from 300 meters or so. Is this rifle too weak to be effective?

Guy wants about $575
The Mod.70 is a fine rifle capable of excellent accuracy and has been for many decades. Winchester has returned to the much desired pre-64 design of controlled feeding and positive extraction. In .223 it would make a spectacular varmint rifle good to atleast 300 yds.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Depending on the year of manufacture on the action & the condition of the gun, ( NIB hopefully means he never took it out to "test" it - always ask ) I would say that is a pretty good price. They are going for $700 plus all over Google.

I have a pre-'64 Winchester action that I made my .308 sniper Rig on and it's been a hell of a platform. I am partial to the Winchester actions as they are super beefy and have a more positive safety than some of the production guns. Plus their extractor is a solid piece of kit.

.223 isn't a knock em down, knock em dead in their tracks type of caliber, but it will sure do the job if you put the round in the right place. It's "basically" the same round that the US military uses in their assault rifles ( 5.56mm ) - and while it has been called underpowered, it's also put a lot of guys six feet under.

I like the .223 - It's a good round. It isn't outrageously expensive and it's not at all punishing to shoot. I don't think you would have a problem going to the range and shooting it for a few hours of enjoyment. It would definitely make one hell of a good prairie dog gun, should you be so inclined.

Having a good boltgun in the house is never a bad idea in my mind. If you can comfortably afford it, I would seriously think about picking it up. You can certainly do a lot worse in that price range...

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Check to see the twist rate of the barrel. Most commercial .223 bolt guns are 1/12. That rate will work perfectly fine for 55gr bullets but is inadequate for the heavier pills. IMHO a faster twist rate is pereferable as it gives you more ammo options. I'm not much of a Winchester M-70 fan but to each his own. To me it is kind of a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. Remington, Winchester, Savage all do the job, but they appeal to different people.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Depending on the year of manufacture on the action & the condition of the gun, ( NIB hopefully means he never took it out to "test" it - always ask ) I would say that is a pretty good price. They are going for $700 plus all over Google.
It's a 2006-2007 Winchester model 70 in 223 WSSM if that helps at all. Even though I've never owned a rifle I am quite capable when using them. I can hit that sweet spot on nearly any target so long as the bullet can fly true.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Check to see the twist rate of the barrel. Most commercial .223 bolt guns are 1/12. That rate will work perfectly fine for 55gr bullets but is inadequate for the heavier pills. IMHO a faster twist rate is pereferable as it gives you more ammo options. I'm not much of a Winchester M-70 fan but to each his own. To me it is kind of a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. Remington, Winchester, Savage all do the job, but they appeal to different people.
How can I tell this ahead of purchase? The box reads:

M70 CPRF, NS, Short Blind
223 WSSM 22" BBL

Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
How can I tell this ahead of purchase? The box reads:

M70 CPRF, NS, Short Blind
223 WSSM 22" BBL
Because you asked!

Edited: Dillinger's succeeding post has aced the caliber and performance on this one.

(I, personally, don't care for it; and, the asking price is too high!)

Last edited by G21.45; 08-20-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
It's a 2006-2007 Winchester model 70 in 223 WSSM if that helps at all. Even though I've never owned a rifle I am quite capable when using them. I can hit that sweet spot on nearly any target so long as the bullet can fly true.
Well, .223 and .223 WSSM ( Winchester Super Short Magnum ) are more than a bit different.

You might want to read This Review by Guns and Ammo Mag to get a better idea of what you are getting.

You might also consider the price on this unit which appears to be the same thing.

I am by no means an expert on the mini magnums, so I am going to defer to the more knowledgable reloaders on here to give you some information about the cartridge and the expected barrel life...

JD

Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, .223 and .223 WSSM ( Winchester Super Short Magnum ) are more than a bit different.

You might want to read This Review by Guns and Ammo Mag to get a better idea of what you are getting.

You might also consider the price on this unit which appears to be the same thing.

I am by no means an expert on the mini magnums, so I am going to defer to the more knowledgable reloaders on here to give you some information about the cartridge and the expected barrel life...

JD

You saved me a major headache, thanks! I dodged THAT bullet thanks to you.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #10

I wasn't trying to talk you out of the firearm, just merely trying to educate you as to what you are buying/trading for.

Glad I could help - but I wasn't trying to make up your mind for you.

JD