Winchester 1917 30-06
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester 1917 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Winchester 1917 30-06

I got a 1917 from a neighbor that has been sporterized. The bluing is shot and the stock looks like it was used to pound in nails. I want to rebuild it but I had some questions about it.

I understand that it's a good gun, but I want to know if this gun is just destined to be a field gun or do they have potential above and beyond that?

Thanks guys.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

photos please kind sire.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #3

Ok, but I just took it apart

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #4

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Damn that stock is rough for sure. Thats a hell of a rifle though. Hell just paint it all tactical with some coyote tan or something and dont forget the flashlight and bayonet.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The front sight is gone and the rear sight mount has been removed, likely ground off. So it would be pretty tough to restore it to a military configured rifle and not worth the money or the agitation.

They're excellent rifles and pretty accurate. The receiver is probably the strongest receiver you can find with maybe the exception of the Arisaka. It will shoot sporting rounds of any flavor.

I have an Eddystone and I love it, probably too much.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

Here's two links to mine. The first link is a simple clean up and a new recoil pad. The second was just recently completed and included a Huber match trigger. If you want to improve the rifle, that trigger makes all the difference in the world.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/1917-eddystone-project-18556/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1917-eddystone-sporter-revamp-32977/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #7

I misspoke I didn't mean restore, I meant to say clean up. Sand the stock and either paint it or reblue.

I'm gonna check you links right now.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

The stock does not look to be that bad. For dings, you can try the steam method. Place a damp cloth over the effected area, place a dry choth over that and use a moderatly hot iron. It will lift/ swell some of the wood back into place. Also just wiping it down w/ BLO (boiled linseed oil) will bring it back.
Here are some before and after pics of a Mauser, it is hard to really see how much better the stock looks, but it is so much better.

Yours is a hunting rifle, so dings and scratches are part of the history. It happens!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

DARIN, you arent serious are you? Refinish? Paint? Oh my god I dont tnink it even has a dent or ding. Paint? You cant be serious. People that paint a wooden stocked rifle are the same type people that puts bull horns on a Rolls Royce. The rifle has been too sporterized to have any collectors intrest. They are great guns and this seems to be an excellent rebuild. These types of sporterized military guns are so heads and shoulders above most modern sporting rifle for durability there isnt even a comparison. These guns are brute tough. My vote put it back togeather and use it, it dont need pampering. My user guns have many dents and dings from years of use and I am papa proud of every inperfection. My guns have been there, done that, and has the scars to prove it. This guns deserves no less.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 716 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Darin, DO NOT PAINT THE WOOD! Damn, there is some nice grain there - sand it and give it a hand-rubbed oil finish.