Winchester 1907 .351 slr
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Winchester 1907 .351 slr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester 1907 .351 slr

I've been on gunbroker lately and ive found a rifle called the Winchester 1907 SLR. I really like it design, and apparently the .351 is a hellofa round; but i did my homework and found out serveral things
1. although the .351 is a round full of knock down power, its kinda hard to find ammo
2. Few companys still manufacture the .351 (winchester stopped making it in about 1957) but its any where from $33-$49 depending on who produces it for a box of 20 rounds
3. On gunbroker a well used (such as hairline of repaired cracks in its stock, light pitting, idiot marks, ect.) 1907 will go from 300-600 dollars

if you have handled, own, or even shot this rifle it is worth it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have handled them, but never fired one. I liked it. The store I worked in in the '80's had ammo in stock. I remember that it was Winchester and not old. It was a current catalog item.

If you buy one you will want to reload for it. Fo sho.

Have you looked into a Rem Mod 8 or 81? Cool old semi autos and they can be had in .300Savage, which is both a great round and still available.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Handled one in the mid 70s, thought about buying it, wasn't expensive, but ammo was an issue at that time. Bought a mini 14 instead. Did like that little Winchester tho. Nice little unit.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Bought a mini 14 instead. Did like that little Winchester tho. Nice little unit.
Yea, Ive shot a mini 14 at a friends house. I already had ideas to start reloading my own ammo and if I buy a '07 then its a for sure. thanks for your opoinons but im still stuck on the fence...=S

Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10273 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1628

Yes, have shot one. As far as "knock down power"- the only thing that REALLY has knock down power is getting hit by a Mack truck. The .351 (and its earlier vesion, .35 SL, the .32 SL and its big brother, .401 SL) have been around a long time.

The .351 was popular with police and prison guards. It fires a 180 gr bullet, with about 1400 ft lbs of energy. More than the M1 Carbine at 945 ft lbs, but a LOT less than something like .308, at 2600 ft lbs. But for 100 years ago, in a snappy little semi auto, this was pretty impressive stuff. Then. Today it is considered marginal for deer hunting.

Ammo is still available from specialty companies, but pricy. Should be an easy reload.

BTW- they also made a Thompson SMG in this caliber. THAT would have been interesting!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #6

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

I do believe it was one of the rifles used to ambush Bonny and Clyde. They were also popular with French aircraft observers in WW1. I have 2 friends that have them. One uses his .401SL for hunting. Impressive rifles!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #7

Thank guys, Ive found the cheapest ammo so far:
351 Winchester Self Loading Obsolete Ammunition
I wouldnt want that round in the thompson since the blish locking system had problems with rifle shells, also the resing model 50 tried the .351 but eventually went to the 45acp. Im seeing lower asking prices so Happy Birthday to me ,literally! ammo clip is selling those 10 round mags for a reasonable price. still like to hear from any owners or shooters of the 1907

Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When the .351SL is called "marginal" for deer, they are comparing it to the likes of the .35 Remington or .308 or such. Actually the rifle has almost identical power to a .357 Magnum lever-action...180gr @ 1850 fps...hardly a "marginal" deer harvester inside 100 yards. Ammo is limited and expensive and bullet variety is non-existent. Even if you handload, you are pretty much stuck to reproducing factory loads because it's a delayed blow-back action.
The case is essentially a .38 Super Auto lengthened to 1.38" and can be made from .357 Maximum brass. These rifles were very popular among both law enforcement and the criminal element prior to WW2 (some say more popular than the Thompson) and a full auto version was available.

Last edited by crossfire; 05-20-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9

Glad to see this website. I've got two of these rifles - one is being turned into a 1930s Lebman replica 1907 as we speak (barrel comp and thompson forearm).

I'm hooked and need to reload so this site is a great find for me.

I'd like to address how popular these were in the "old days." There is a guy on the www, "351 winchester" is his moniker, that could do better than I but here goes.

When I was looking for info. about the 1907, it seemed like everything I read had something about how both lawmen and law-breakers used the rifle before WWII but with few details. So just how popular was the 1907? The following is what I have see thus far about who used this rifle for good or evil in the 1930s:

Dillinger gang - 2 found at the Congress Hotel and 1 in JD's car when they arrested him in Tucson
- Eddie Green - member of the gang - found a 1907 in his apartment after a shootout in St. Paul
- Little Bohemia Lodge - a 1907 was left behind when the gang scattered during the shootout
- Homer van Meter - member of the gang - the 1907 was his favorite - apparently with a Thompson-like forearm and Cutts compensator along with at least a 10-round mag

Baby Face Nelson - used one to kill two G-men when he was mortally wounded in 1934 - apparently there is mounting evidence that Baby Face's Thompson jammed and he then picked up a Lebman-modified 1907 to kill the two Gmen on the night he was mortally wounded.

Russell Gibson - member of Karpis/Barker gang killed by a 1907 used by Doc White. At least one of the six .351 rounds fired punched through his bullet proof vest.

Alvin Karpis - arrested by G-man named Hurt who was carring a 1907

Alva Hunt/Hugh Gant gang - had a 1907 when they were captured in Florida in 1938

Bonnie and Clyde left a 1907 behind after a shootout (I'm still working on the details of this one). Also Clyde apparently gave Ray Hamilton two 1907s as parting gifts when they split up.

Harvey Bailey - member of Machine Gun Kelly's gang - captured holding 1907 while asleep on a porch in Texas.

Fred Burke - supposedly responsible for St Valentine's Day Massacre and Al Capone associate - a 1907 was found in his gun cache when police raided his bungalow in 1929. These guns were though to have been used in the massacre! So it's possible a 1907 was used in the most infamous mass murder during the gangster era!!

Fred (and Ma) Barker might have been shot with one - Doc White had his 351 at the shootout.

The good guys liked them too with members of the following organizations:

Texas Rangers - George Chapman carried one
Border Patrol - Charles Askins carried one
FBI - Walter Walsh and Doc White each carried one

The 1907 was at least as popular as the TSMG, so why don't we here about these guns today? Also, by just about every account out there, a 1907 was NOT present at the ambush of Bonnie and Clyde.

As several people have put it, this was the original urban carbine.

John

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

Photos of my 1907s:

Artsy-fartsy photo of the Lebman with other 1930s accoutrements: