Win Model 100 problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Win Model 100 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Win Model 100 problem

Hello All,

I hope one of the experts here can help me. I have a Winchester Model 100 semi-auto that was given to me by my late Father-In-Law. I fired it a few times with regular Remington factory ammo and all was normal, then it stopped firing, and in the next 10-20 attempts it only fired once. I took it to a gunsmith who had it for a year and he replaced a few parts and after about a $100 repair bill I took it back to the range. It fired once and that was it.

I noticed through all this that it appears something is going on with the end of the slide or bolt and so I took the gun back to my gunsmith, who had it for another year. I finally asked what the deal was and he said he had no idea what to do next, that one person had suggested it needed a “new gas system”, but he didn’t seem too sure of this being a cure.

The attached picture shows more clearly than I can explain in words what I am seeing when it fires vs. doesn’t fire. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this gun?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

scan0007.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

Couple of things- neither of which is gas system.

Your rifle uses a rotating bolt. Be sure that you have cleaned the bolt, and that there is lube betwen the bolt and bolt carrier.

Second- firing pin. Be sure that FP and FP channel are clean, LIGHTLY lubed, and the FP is correctly installed.

Possible bad news- check the recess that bolt lugs turn into- use tip of pinky. Feel for roughness, burrs. If it has galled, will make it difficult for bolt to cam into place. Now, look at pinky. Crud? Those recesses get missed in cleaning.

ALSO- Important note- there WAS a safety recall on those, fixed by replacing firing pin. Original can have tip break, wedge into bolt, resulting in uncontrolled full auto fire. If you do not know if yours has been fixed, remove mag, turn weapon so you can look into the mag well, draw bolt back, look for letter stamped on the inside of the "roof".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #3

Thanks much for the advice -- I will try this over the weekend! I will be disappointed if the gunsmith hadn't found something like this in 2 years, but ya never know. Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

C3-

Looks like you got me on the right track, anyway. All looked clean inside, and there is a letter stamped on the roof of the action area.

I was still getting the condition of the rotating bolt not rotating and locking when a round was chambered -- it would always do so if no round was chambered. So I pushed in on the cartridge and it went a bit further into the chamber and then lo and behold the bolt would rotate with the round chambered!

It looked like maybe there were a few spots of rust or crud in the chamber area that I guess were causing the cartridge to not go all the way into the chamber, so the bolt would not go all the way shut and lock.

I used bronze brushes and Hoppes to clean it up a bit and now most of the time the gun loads and cycles okay, but it still hangs-up just enough that I would not trust it to hunt with. I'll work on it a bit more when I have the time, but what a disappointment that in 2 years a gunsmith could not figure this out.