Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wilson Combat 5.56 barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Wilson Combat 5.56 barrel

So I'm doing my first build and I've run into the whole "analysis paralysis" problem. But after months and months of analyzing I finally found the barrel that has all of the qualities in it that I was looking for. My problem is I know nothing of the quality of it's manufacturer and can't find ANYONE who can speak for that quality.

So I come to you guys, here's the barrel.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Tactical-Lightweight-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR%2D556LW16%2D18/

I've heard alot about Wilson's 1911 stuff and people seem to be pretty happy about it. But can't find anyone with their AR stuff.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Hype,

First of all I would shop around. There are many other good companies in the industry that have great barrels Rock River Arms being one of them. The barrels are made by Wilson Barrel Company on the east cost and are in no way affiliated with Wilson Combat. They also have a 16" Stainless Steel Barrel that is in 1:8 twist and a tac driver. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. I do not know who makes Wilson Combat barrels for them at the present. Also if you are considering putting a standard front sight on the barrel you do not have the proper fixtures to hold the barrel while it is being drilled for the standard A Post Front Sight assembly. If you are putting a weaver style gas block or flip up front sight and gas block assembly on a barrel you are good to go. On the barrel pictured, if you should be going to use standard handguards do not forget the end cap since it acts as a spacer for proper Gas Block and Gas Port location. I think the RRA Barrel with A post and Bayonet Lug is around $245.00So without the assembly should be a little less. Please feel free to ask us for additional information. There are a lot of good barrel companies out there that have fine products. I am not that sold on Wilson Combat unfortunately.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Sir i own a Wilson combat ut 15. With all the bells and whistles. 16and quarter inch barrel. One in nine twists. Sixty nine grain match one half moa at one hundred yards.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Thanks Snipe,
I also looked at the RRA's but I'm not 100% sold on the Wylde chambering? Are you personally familiar with it?

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Wylde chambering is a good all around way to go if you shoot .223 and 5.56.

I would go w/ Wilson Combat or White Oak. The 18" SPR WOA barrel I had was very nice.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Just fyi wilson combat is not the same company as the wilson barrel makers. Wilson combat might source theirs from wilson barrels. But its two totally different companies

Bah i shoulda read sniper's reply in full before writing my two pennies...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Yeah I was aware that they are two different companies. Wilson Combat gets their blanks from Shaw then reems and cuts them in house.

-unknown-