Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Will three hours of sweat cause some corrosion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Will three hours of sweat cause some corrosion?

For example, if you strap your SKS (or Mini) on a shoulder or carry it across your back for a jog, followed by a long walk in a t-shirt through a remote, mostly desolate wooded area, will there be any actual corrosion if not dried and wiped with oil for several hours? I have no intention of using it, being close to populated areas, but I have no handgun to take along for security.

This gun was bought unused last March and is still a "cherry", as the faraway seller described it.

Thanks very much for any overnight responses.

Last edited by Laufer; 09-28-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sweat is a problem, because it does contain salt, but I do not see this being a problem for a long walk with a sweaty T-shirt, especially with the AK.

Mikhail Kalashinkov's design is built to design the worst mud, the worst weather, the worst of the worst. Kalashinkov's beauty of design isn't the most accurate, but it might be the most durable assault weapon on the planet.

I would say with the bare basic of firearm maintenence, you should be fine for many years to come.

IF you can get ammo....

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #3

Play it safe and apply a good coat of Turtle wax to it before you expose it to the elements and your perspiration .

It's a little tip I picked up in Guns & Amo decades ago and I have used on hunting rifles with complete success .

Old 09-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you want a collectible piece, keep it at home under glass. If you want a usable tool, don't worry about scuffs and wear marks; that's part of the deal.

Sweat should not hurt a rifle if you clean it properly when you're done with your hike.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #5

Thanks a bunch.