Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Will the sights leveling be a problem? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/will-sights-leveling-problem-55494/)

jon1992d 01-14-2012 08:04 PM

Will the sights leveling be a problem?

4 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased folding iron sights online for my ar-15. The thing im worried about is the rear sight is raised up higher than the front sight becuase of the rail system. When i line the rear with the front i feel like im looking at a target while the barrel is pointing above what im seeing. This is what i have..

Attachment 37530

Attachment 37531

Attachment 37533

Attachment 37535

I think this is designed for the original carry rear sight and triangle front sight but i do not like that concept i would rather have the folding irons. Will the effect my aiming while shooting?

Jpyle 01-14-2012 08:10 PM

You need to get a different front sight. You have a set made for a uniform plane where the front rail extends straight out from the upper receiver. For a lower profile gas block mount you will need to get the appropriate height sight. Also be sure not to mount a polymer sight on the gas block, the heat will warp and distort the base. And yes, it will definitely affect your shooting, you will be consistently high as you will pull the centerline of the bore up to get the sights aligned and there is not enough down adjustment in the front sight to offset that much misalignment. Note the longer base on the pic below...thats what you need.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pub...dJjECpD3VzORcg

jpattersonnh 01-14-2012 08:14 PM

You have a few issues going on. Your sights may actually line up on target. But, that bi-pod on the barrel is a bad idea. Your front sight should have an ajustable pin. If you are shooting high, raise it.

jon1992d 01-14-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
You have a few issues going on. Your sights may actually line up on target. But, that bi-pod on the barrel is a bad idea. Your front sight should have an ajustable pin. If you are shooting high, raise it.

Why is the bipod bad?

jon1992d 01-14-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle
You need to get a different front sight. You have a set made for a uniform plane where the front rail extends straight out from the upper receiver. For a lower profile gas block mount you will need to get the appropriate height sight. Also be sure not to mount a polymer sight on the gas block, the heat will warp and distort the base. And yes, it will definitely affect your shooting, you will be consistently high as you will pull the centerline of the bore up to get the sights aligned and there is not enough down adjustment in the front sight to offset that much misalignment. Note the longer base on the pic below...thats what you need.

How would the heat distort the base tho? It is on a piece that wont heat up around the barrel. Sorry if im confusing but this ar is the biggest money pit and hassle for me. Any help is always apriciated tho.

Jpyle 01-14-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon1992d (Post 677096)
How would the heat distort the base tho? It is on a piece that wont heat up around the barrel. Sorry if im confusing but this ar is the biggest money pit and hassle for me. Any help is always apriciated tho.

If its all metal there's no problem. Couldn't tell if they were molded plastic or not. I have seen pictures of the handguards on an M16 actually on fire from the heat, 10 or 20 rounds and that entire barrel and any metal parts on it are untouchable from the heat, you will feel it through the hand guards.

jon1992d 01-14-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

If its all metal there's no problem. Couldn't tell if they were molded plastic or not. I have seen pictures of the handguards on an M16 actually on fire from the heat, 10 or 20 rounds and that entire barrel and any metal parts on it are untouchable from the heat, you will feel it through the hand guards.

Oh ok i know what you mean now. If i get the front sight that you posted would i be able to keep my rear sight?

JonM 01-14-2012 09:58 PM

thats a magpul mbus front sight and it will melt sitting on that gasblock

Snakedriver 01-14-2012 10:32 PM

You need to listen to JPyle. Those MBUS sights on the low pro gas block aren't going to work. They'll be too low. It also states on Magpul site that they are NOT for mounting on a gas block like you've done. They are polymer and aren't built for the heat. The front sight JPyle has shown in the picture are the ones you need.

Jpyle 01-15-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon1992d (Post 677148)
Oh ok i know what you mean now. If i get the front sight that you posted would i be able to keep my rear sight?

Yes, rear sight is fine as is. The sight pictured is a Yankee Hill I believe, that style or any gas block mount flip up will work.