Will Lead Bullets Ruin My RRA .223?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Will Lead Bullets Ruin My RRA .223?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Will Lead Bullets Ruin My RRA .223?

I've been diligently saving my brass with the idea that I'm going to buy a reloader. Do I have to shoot FMJ's down my RRA, or is lead okay? Are they sensitive to lead like my Glocks?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

While lead cast bullets wont harm your rifle it will make cleaning the bore more difficult.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #3

Default LEAD in a .223 ?

Could be done but the added time to clean the barrel and bolt/carrier assembly as well as gas tube would drive you to drink !

The 223 is designed to fire bullets at velocities far too fast for lead bullets.
Down loading them might help but still cause HUGE problems in the gas tube and bolt/carrier assembly.

May also lead to explosive failure after firing lead bullets if you put a factory
or military FMJ round in after firing lead.

A customer tried this after using a 22 conversion kit on his AR and firing lead 22's. I round of military ball and he blew the gun up...he forgot to clean the lead our of the barrel.

Not worth the savings...223 FMJ bullets in bulk are reasonable about .04 ea in bulk..total cost to load about .10 cents a round + your time

Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a big cast bullet fan, I've used them in .22 Hornet up to .45-110, including .30 cal gas-checked bullets in my M14.
And I'm going to agree completely with Dgunsmith. Neither .223 nor the AR15 platform are very well suited to cast bullet use.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lead ammo in .223?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

YUP, the folks here have told ya right! The .223 as well as a Lot of Light rifle rounds simply does't work well in lead bullets! Yes, you can get brass screns to clean the lead out of the Bore and such, but It's really not a viable deal? I'd advocate stocking up on a lot of Bulk .223 in your fav Grain as 55 or 62 or? That way, you can beat the rising lead and re-loading costs and have a hedge to the anti gun mocvement a growing each and every day, remmber to stock Primers as well as Powder, if you re-load that is? If not, But your Fav stuff in Bulk, although that's starting to hurt, like the gas pump is?

RON L