wildcatting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > wildcatting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default wildcatting

So this may be a bad idea but I have been thinking about trying to design a new wildcat rifle caliber. I have heard of people creating their own one of a kind rifle calibers but I cant seem to find much information on this topic on the internet. I was thinking of using a 270 cal. bullet in a large case such as the 338 lapua mag. I dont know if something like this has already been done or if there is a reason it has not. with the large case and fairly small 270 cal. bullet i would expect it to be an extremely fast round (maybe too fast). I would like to do this just for the challenge im not trying to get certain results out of this new cartridge. If anyone knows anything about designing new cartridges any help and knowledge would be appreciated. As of right now i Know very little about this subject and of the work that goes into doing this and now it is more of a hypothetical thing until I can get a sufficient amount of info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark1 View Post
So this may be a bad idea but I have been thinking about trying to design a new wildcat rifle caliber. I have heard of people creating their own one of a kind rifle calibers but I cant seem to find much information on this topic on the internet. I was thinking of using a 270 cal. bullet in a large case such as the 338 lapua mag. I dont know if something like this has already been done or if there is a reason it has not. with the large case and fairly small 270 cal. bullet i would expect it to be an extremely fast round (maybe too fast). I would like to do this just for the challenge im not trying to get certain results out of this new cartridge. If anyone knows anything about designing new cartridges any help and knowledge would be appreciated. As of right now i Know very little about this subject and of the work that goes into doing this and now it is more of a hypothetical thing until I can get a sufficient amount of info.
have you given any thought as to the expense of doing something like this?

just to start off with will be that someone will have to build a custom reamer to make the chamber. more than likely a custom built action and definately a custom barrel.

then is going to be a custom set of dies to be made to reload the rounds. and then starting from scratch working up loads for which there isn't any loading data to start from.

just being realistic, but unless you have some extensive machining skills and gunsmithing skills and know quite a bit about working up wildcat loads and ballistics in general, i would have to say something like this is more for someone with a lot of experiance and not a novice.

what would be the purpose of the rifle and cartridge?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If i were to design a new cartridge i would like it to be a fast round for use in shooting past 350 yards however like i said before I would be doing it for the experience and chalenge not to improve apon existing cartridges.

Last edited by bclark1; 05-30-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

just a follow up question. If this cartridge were to be designed just for a simple bolt action rifle what parts and tools would need to be made just to fit the gun to the Cartridge? I was also wandering if it would be easier to create a new wildcat for the ar15 platform seeing as how multiple calibers can be used anyways by simply changing the barrel and bolt.

Last edited by bclark1; 05-30-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

Quote:
If i were to design a new cartridge i would like it to be a fast round for use in shooting past 350 yards however like i said before I would be doing it for the experience and chalenge.
you do realize there are plenty of cartridges that are already capable of shooting very accurately at 350 plus yards without going to the trouble of building a wildcat?

also that the 338 L.M. is made for pretty extreme long distance shooting? fast doesn't always equal accuracy either.

what skills as a machinist or gunsmith do you have? what about ballistics? unless you have some serious skills as a gunsmith or machinist, IMO you would be in way over your head. like i said not something for a novice.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Necking down a 338 Lapua case to .277" would indeed make for a fast mover, but it would have some nasty downsides too, first of all your barrel life would be 125 rounds so by time you were done with load development you would need to change barrels and start over. Secondly no bonded or mono metal bullet is designed to hold up to speeds like that and last but not leased you would need a 32" tube to keep the muzzle blast from setting your clothes on fire.
Of course I am exaggerating a little, but not by much.
My sissy kicking 6.5x55 has a 700 yard effective range on deer class game, it shoots just fine out of a 22" barrel, it weighs 6lbs, it is accurate enough to dot an i at 200 yards and no nitrous fed uber hypersonic mag is going to kill them any more dead I don't care what you do to it.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-30-2013 at 06:40 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
just a follow up question. If this cartridge were to be designed just for a simple bolt action rifle what parts and tools would need to be made just to fit the gun to the Cartridge?
going to have to have an action long enough to accomadate the cartridge and the 338 L.M. is a pretty decent sized cartridge. also the action and barrel will have to be able to handle the pressure of such a cartridge. pretty much most everything will have to be custom made. reamers, dies, brass and bullets.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Necking down a 338 Lapua case to .277" would indeed make for a fast mover, but it would have some nasty downsides too, first of all your barrel life would be 125 rounds so by time you were done with load development you would need to change barrels and start over. Secondly no bonded or mono metal bullet is designed to hold up to speeds like that and last but not leased you would need a 32" tube to keep the muzzle blast from setting your clothes on fire.
Of course I am exaggerating a little, but not by much.
very good points. necking down from .338 to 277 is .061 of an inch. huge jump!

plus going to have to find a barrel twist ratio that will stabilize the bullet properly. lot's of experimenting to find the right combination of components to make this work.

apex is right. huge cases and small bullets usually end up eroding barrels pretty fast.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have basic machining skills and I have acces to multiple machine shops and gunsmiths. I realize that there are already many calibers that cover basically everything i would need shooting wise however i enjoy taking on new projects and working with firearms. I am not set on necking down the 338 to 270 that was just an idea i had. If i was to create a new ar caliber would it be possible to fit it to the gun by just creating a custom barrel and bolt so long as the new cartridge fit into either the ar15 or ar10?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well in theory it would not be that hard to set up, a 1:10.5-11" twist should be plenty stable for most 150gr bullets, don't waste your time with anything lighter using a case that big trust me. Your barrel life really would be shorter then Robert Kenedy's presidential campaign, and the blast from such a monster would be NASTY to say the least, you are talking about 100gr of powder in a pencil thin bore, that would be worse then the 7mm Ultra Mag which is only pushing aprox 90 through a .284" bore.