Wifes Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wifes Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wifes Rifle

Hello, my wife has recently taken up big game hunting, we go after elk and moose (mainly only elk). right now i have an old but very reliable husquavarna 30-0-06 sprg. i am looking for a rifle for her, i was thinking something with a little less whoomph, maybe a 25-0-06. should still be enough to take a elk at a couple hundred yards but a little less kick. i do have another 30-0-06 she can use for moose if need be. i am wondering if anybody can provide a suggustion on a calibre, load and maybe a brand or model that would be ideal. our terrain is mainly mountains with foothills and farm land.

thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a 25-06 on elk. For an animal of that size I would want a 30 caliber, maybe something slightly smaller like a 280. I'm not sure how the recoil would compare since I haven't shot a 280. If she's OK shooting the 30-06 I would stick with it. Does she complain about the recoil?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Like spitty said the 25-06 is not an elk cartridge. Yo may get away with a 280 rem (30-06 necked down to 7mm) But even that I wouldn't do. 300 win mag is about the smallest I would ever go on an elk. Elk are big tough animals that need a big tough cartridge. Have you ever been up close with an elk. I was within 20' of a nice 8x8 bull once and let me tell you he made thoroughbred racing horses look tiny.

Can a 30-06 take an elk. Sure you have to be laser accurate use the proper bullet and keep shots within 300 yards I myself would limit my shots to 100 maybe 150 yards if shooting a 30-06.

I think a 300 win mag or a 300 wsm would be your better choice I wuold still be using a 180+gr Premium bullet like a Nosler Partition, Swift Scirocco 2, Or a Barns Tripple Shock X bullet.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If recoil an issue try using a Limb Saver recoil pad. These come in slip-on, grind to fit, and as replacement for certain firearm model butt pads. I have an old 110 Savage in 30-06 that I believed had an iron maiden butt pad on it. When I put a new scope on it I had to go out two separate days because it was kicking the bajesus out of me. I screw on the new recoil pad and what a difference. I can shoot this gun all day long and not shed a single tear. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #5

Thank you guys. the info is really helpful. and yes i have been up close to elk many time as i have hunted them for 13 years. in terrain like this you dont get much further away than 300 yds anyways. i will probably keep her on the 30-06 since that what you all suggest. i shoot 165 gr boat tails and save the 180 gr for moose. and to awnser your question i am not a gun enthuiset i have 6 guns and in total only shot 2 other ones. i use what i have and they have all been passed down from my grandfather and great grandfather, that is why i had to come here to ask advise. probably my favorite rifles to shoot are the 30-30 win and 300 savage

Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Thank you guys. the info is really helpful. and yes i have been up close to elk many time as i have hunted them for 13 years. in terrain like this you dont get much further away than 300 yds anyways. i will probably keep her on the 30-06 since that what you all suggest. i shoot 165 gr boat tails and save the 180 gr for moose. and to awnser your question i am not a gun enthuiset i have 6 guns and in total only shot 2 other ones. i use what i have and they have all been passed down from my grandfather and great grandfather, that is why i had to come here to ask advise. probably my favorite rifles to shoot are the 30-30 win and 300 savage
RUN away RUN AWAY FAST.

You hang out around here much and you will end up with so many guns it is not funny. We as a group are very very good at spending other peoples money. I think we rival the democrats in office now at spending other peoples money......

In the time I have spent here I have added to my wish list at least 15 pages.

Some of the wish list

Nighthawk 1911 (Thanks to JD)

M14 or m1a (mrm14, M14srock)

Custom bulit bolt gun (JD again)

To have so many 1911 I find a new one int he back of the safe every other week. (NGIB).....

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If she's wanting something lighter in recoil than the 30-06 I'd recommend either the .308 or the 7mm08 with premium bullets. Either will cleanly harvest an elk if you hit them square in the boiler room with a good bullet.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #8

Mr Bear,

How about a 7 by 57 mauser. They will work on any north american game and don`t kick.

patret

Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 7x57 will work just as good as the 7mm08. The only reason I omitted it is you can't buy 7x57 ammo as easily as the other 2 and I doubt the OP reloads.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #10

oh ya i reload so pre assembled shells are not an issue. i find it a waste to dish out 30 bucks or whatever for a box of shells that last 30 minutes at the range