Why You Should Buy A Savage CF Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why You Should Buy A Savage CF Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why You Should Buy A Savage CF Rifle

Savages quality just keeps getting better.
The pre accu Stock models were made on CNC equipment, the newer ones are made on all new equipment. Savage retooled and the tollerences are far better.

If your Savge rifle has a number under the rear part of the tail of the action, it has been made on the new equipment.

That number has nothing to do with the serial number.

That number is tracked by computer and it tells them how many of each part has been cut with a particular cutter. When say 25 actions have been cut with one of the cutters, the cutter is replaced. No more guessing if a cutter needs replacing or gun parts cut with a worn cutter.

Savage uses softer metal to make their parts from then either induction hardens or fire hardens the parts, whichever gives the best hardness for that particular part.

At a time when most of the other big 3 are cost cutting such as going from button cut barrels to hammer forged barrels or making triggers that you cannot adjust, Savage just keeps improving the parts in their rifles.

There is a marked difference in how tight the tollerences are on the parts since savage replaced their tooling and started tracking how many parts have been cut with each cutter.
It makes a big difference.

Add that to the fact that barrels and even calibers can be easily changed and Savage is the best made production rifle on the market today.

Benchrest shooters or people who shot the small fast cartridges that eat the throats of the barrels are able to change out a barrel themselves without all the machine work necessary on other brands. That alone is a major bonus and pre chambered barrels are now available from most barrel makers.

Savages Q.C is also one of the best. A defective weapon may slip by every once in a while, but Savage has far fewer defective weapons out of the box than the other big three.

Next time you are looking to get a new centerfire, give the Savage rifles a good look. They keep improving while the others seem to be slipping.

The Accu trigger and Accu Stock are also fantastic. The Savage will shoot smaller groups right out of the box than many other brands that have been accurized and if you accurize a Savage, the groups are almost always one small hole, many times they are that way stock.

For those who want a cheaper rifle that is still just as well built, just does not have some of the bells and whistles, look at the Stevens line of rifles.
They are a fantastic value for your hard earned dollar.

John K

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Been looking towards savage for a while. I am in dire need of a good quality front stuffer and I do believe I am getting the savage 10ML because I can use smokeless powder with it. Cleaner, safer, faster and easier.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #3

I just got my second savage edge tonight. Now i have one in .223 AND one in .308....my dream caliber since i was a young teen in New York, before centerfire rifles were legal there for deer. Finally at the age of 53 i have the deer gun i have wanted and live in a state where i can use it. Ironically, centerfire rifles are legal now back home.

For 265 bucks plus the scope of your choice, how can you beat the Savage edge? I added a 4-12x40 bushnell to my .223 tonight and put the 3-9x40 simmons on my .308 for now. Since i will shoot the .223 more for varmints (i think i will anyway) and the .308 occasionally and for deer next year (occasionally..right...) i put the better scope on the varmint gun. we'll see if i like it that way by next deer season. I will do whatever i feel is best as always.... but Savage is perfect for me! They won't be "edge" for long, BTW. They will be "axis" when inventories of the edge run out.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
Savages quality just keeps getting better.
The pre accu Stock models were made on CNC equipment, the newer ones are made on all new equipment. Savage retooled and the tollerences are far better.

If your Savge rifle has a number under the rear part of the tail of the action, it has been made on the new equipment.

That number has nothing to do with the serial number.

That number is tracked by computer and it tells them how many of each part has been cut with a particular cutter. When say 25 actions have been cut with one of the cutters, the cutter is replaced. No more guessing if a cutter needs replacing or gun parts cut with a worn cutter.

Savage uses softer metal to make their parts from then either induction hardens or fire hardens the parts, whichever gives the best hardness for that particular part.

At a time when most of the other big 3 are cost cutting such as going from button cut barrels to hammer forged barrels or making triggers that you cannot adjust, Savage just keeps improving the parts in their rifles.

There is a marked difference in how tight the tollerences are on the parts since savage replaced their tooling and started tracking how many parts have been cut with each cutter.
It makes a big difference.

Add that to the fact that barrels and even calibers can be easily changed and Savage is the best made production rifle on the market today.

Benchrest shooters or people who shot the small fast cartridges that eat the throats of the barrels are able to change out a barrel themselves without all the machine work necessary on other brands. That alone is a major bonus and pre chambered barrels are now available from most barrel makers.

Savages Q.C is also one of the best. A defective weapon may slip by every once in a while, but Savage has far fewer defective weapons out of the box than the other big three.

Next time you are looking to get a new centerfire, give the Savage rifles a good look. They keep improving while the others seem to be slipping.

The Accu trigger and Accu Stock are also fantastic. The Savage will shoot smaller groups right out of the box than many other brands that have been accurized and if you accurize a Savage, the groups are almost always one small hole, many times they are that way stock.

For those who want a cheaper rifle that is still just as well built, just does not have some of the bells and whistles, look at the Stevens line of rifles.
They are a fantastic value for your hard earned dollar.

John K
Do you work for Savage?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

No, I don't.
I got this info from Scott Null at Savagegunsmithing.

He showed me the models that were done on the newer equipment and the number on the bottom of the tang.

He was just telling me how much better the precision and tollerences of the Savage rifles have been since they re tooled.

I think they have a great way of keeping track of when to change cutters in their CNC machinery.

No more parts being substandard because they were cut will a cutter that was getting dull.

It just makes for a much more consistant rile being produced, better quality and a rifle that shoots even better out of the box than it did before. Anyone who has bought a Savage knows how good they shoot. The Accu stock was a brilliant idea also. It has helped the accuracy even more.

The reason for the post was to let people know how Savage has improved their rifles and how they did it.

I have several brands of rifles and one of the older Model 10 Target rifles.
I'm a retired gunsmith and accurized the model 10 myself and remember how much material I had to remove to blueprint the action. Scott was telling me that there is far less material to remove and far less varience in the mating of parts than the older models.

I found the info very interesting and thought I'd pass it on.

I love firearms and like to see people get the best that they can for their money. This is why I recommend the Savage.
I have also seen cheaper methods being used in some of the old favorite rifles. That bothers me as I think every rifle company shoud keep up standards or strive to improve.

John K

Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. I have two Savage rifles and I'm very happy with them. I still think they're the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Savage has certainly done a lot in the last 20 years to regain market share. I have an FVSS in .223 and it is a great rifle.

I like to hear that gunmakers are being pro-active instead of re-active in regards to maintaining tight tolerances.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Savage 223's have a 1/9 twist while most of the others have 1/12. I bought one for one of my grandsons and he is outshooting his dad with his 700BDL. My CZ527 has 1/12 and will shoot cloverleafs with 45 gr but not 55 gr.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #9

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Savage 223's have a 1/9 twist while most of the others have 1/12. I bought one for one of my grandsons and he is outshooting his dad with his 700BDL. My CZ527 has 1/12 and will shoot cloverleafs with 45 gr but not 55 gr.
That is why I bought the CZ527 Varminter years ago. Although CZ's site stated it had a 1:12, it was wrong. All the varminters have a 1:9, not just the Kevlar. I own Savage, Howa, Browning, Marlin, Swede's, German, Commie, and last a bankers gun, a Swiss. They are all accurate. Bet your Savage does not look this Savage. I have 5 round Mags for the external type and can hunt w/ them. Pretty outstanding and the scopes are matched to the caliber Except for the AK..

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #10

Just bought a Savage model 10 yesterday – have not had a chance to fire it. But it is missing the accu-trigger adjuster tool so I thought I’d e-mail and ask them to send me one. But no, their web site says the get too many e-mails so they just no longer accept e-mails, so you have to call – when they’re not out to lunch, of course – which I when I am at lunch and could call!

And the manual that comes with the gun covers a bunch of different guns, with a bunch of different options, not just this gun.

I believe the little things that you can see often say a lot about the big things you can’t see. Like if a restaurant bathroom is cruddy, the kitchen might be, too.

So far, I am not feeling good about Savage customer service. In this day and age to not accept e-mails is just plain poor IMO.