Why not lever action?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why not lever action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why not lever action?

I was in a well stocked & helpful gun shop today (independent - not box store) and was checking out a rifle. Just for the heck of it shouldered a new Browning BLR Lightweight in same caliber - .223. It fit beautifully. Eye went right down the iron sights. Felt great.

Shop owner said - I'll sell it to you but its not what you want. Went on to say I don't want a lever rifle for target. I had to step away and think about what to do.

Why not? Anyone?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby476 View Post
I was in a well stocked & helpful gun shop today (independent - not box store) and was checking out a rifle. Just for the heck of it shouldered a new Browning BLR Lightweight in same caliber - .223. It fit beautifully. Eye went right down the iron sights. Felt great.

Shop owner said - I'll sell it to you but its not what you want. Went on to say I don't want a lever rifle for target. I had to step away and think about what to do.

Why not? Anyone?
You have a dumass shop owner
Only answer I can think of-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

hmmm no ya dont want to give me your money for that gun. cause that would be just ignant... levers are great. buy it if the price is right. shoot it till your hearts content

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Love my lever actions. For pure, benchrest target work, you have a longer lock time whe you have an external, swinging hammer, and they may be less accurate than a bolt action. But we ARE speaking of fractions of an inch at 100 yards.

Lock time- the period between the trigger releasing the sear, and the rifle firing.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ? I dont get it?

Why would a .223 Browning BLR not be a good target rifle? Is the shop keeper saying Browning builds crap gun's?
may be hard sandbagging a lever but for off hand shooting there very good.

all that stuff about inaccurate levers is generated by most old stuff, newer guns I wouldent bet against them for accuracy.
there are some the old guns (not many) that were very accurate, one the most accurat .22's I had was a Winchester 9422, the most accurate lever centerfire I had was a Winchester model 64 in 30-30.
I was in the gunshop when the shopkeeper unboxed a new Browning BLR in .338Win Mag.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 11-05-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby476 View Post

Why not? Anyone?
Sounds like he was discussing his personal preference, and not much more. Rifles are a lot like pistols in that your personal taste has to come into account.
Lever's are fun and really carry a flair, in my opinion. Had an old 336Cl and I loved it. A good lever action is a joy to use, and something that you yourself have to decide if you want it.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I loved my old Savage 99 in .308. The lever feels a lot more friendly than a bolt for a follow up. Then there was the Marlin in 35 rem and the 45-70 and the 44 mag. Out of the 3 Marlins I liked the 35 Rem the best.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I loved my .308 BLR, but it was nasty to shoot. I'm not small, nore am I afraid of recoil, but that gun w/ the strait stock was a handful. If you like the rifle, and it shoulders/ points well, get it if funds permit.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I like lever actions. I have two.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Maybe it was the length of the barrel on the lever action you were looking at? A shorter carbine length barrel would not be as good a target gun as a longer barreled gun.

If your shooting rest is low to the bench top, a lever would cause a problem shooting it if you had to lift the gun up everytime to operate the lever. That is where a bolt gun would have an advantage.

Levers are just plain cool. I have two currently, Marlin 336 .30-30 and Henry Frontier .22, and will be purchasing another when the right gun crosses my path. BTW, I would love to find a lever 12/20 gauge shotgun.