Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I am left handed and right eye dominant and have always shot left handed regardless of the eye issue, I also shoot both eyes open and it works fine, I don't think the eye dominance is the issue with your grouping, what caliber is your rifle? My suggestion would be to practice with something low recoil like a rimfire and focus on the fundamentals, aiming, breathing, squeezing the trigger, this should help a lot. Also are you shooting off hand or do you use a bench or some other sort of rest? It could be that you are just one of those guys that can't hold still without a rest, I know I have days where I can't hit anything without a rest and other days I am solid as can be.
Normally off hand, but can't do much even from the bench. I shoot .303, 30-06 and 223/556. I find that I shoot them from best to worst in that order and have a strong dislike for optics unless hunting. One thing that I considered, since I normally shoot high powered milsurps but can't really practice because of ammo cost, is buying a Nagant. Much cheaper for ammo. Shoot quite a bit and just get some trigger time in.

To be quite honest, I have done very little precision shooting with rifles and not afraid to admit that I'm young and dumb and just got over the "put a ton of lead downrange, your bound to hit it" stage about a year ago when I bought my ammo from a guy I knew when it was CHEAP. It's dried up now and I'm a lot less dumb.

But, i take my time now and still no luck. Considering I've had less than 300 rounds since then, practice and patience couldnt hurt.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

If you are still getting those large groups even off a bench at those short ranges then something is definitely going wrong, practice, practice, practice. Get used to the guns and how they are set up, if you will hunt with a scope I would practice with it also. If you are using the open sights and getting these results, pay special attention to how you are holding your bead or blade in the rear notch, you have to hold it the same every shot or you will not group, either take a full bead or a fine bead, whichever you are comfortable with, and stick with that style of aiming. If you are using a peep sight see about getting a screw in insert for it to make the aperture smaller this will reduce the room you have for error in the rear sight. If ammo cost is holding you back maybe consider reloading, that is a good way to cut costs and also a fun hobby. Putting a ton of lead downrange is useless if you can't hit your intended target, glad to see you kicked that nasty habit. I would seriously consider picking up a cheap 22lr, you can find old bolt actions or single shots dirt cheap and ammo is around 18 20 bucks for 550 rounds, use this to get a feel for shooting and develop good basic shooting skills, it will transfer to the bigger calibers. You have to learn to walk before you can learn to run.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have the opposite situation to deal with. I am pretty good with a rifle but suck at shooting with a handgun.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Try standing INSIDE the barn!
You got me ruined for at least a week over that suggestion.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have the opposite situation to deal with. I am pretty good with a rifle but suck at shooting with a handgun.
My problem is closer you your situation as well, but I have been shooting rifles and shotguns my whole life, I just bought my first handgun last year, before that I only shot my friend's handguns when I had occasion

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #16

Did a little M1 Garand shooting today, ended up with 7 inch groups at 100 yards. Definitely need more practice. At the same time, I was drilling the bullseye at 20 feet with a 1911. I Shot my Enfield .303 at 60 yards and got 4 inch groups. I'm terrible.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There are better tools for driving nails; try a hammer.

There isn't any chance of an eye dominance issue, is there? (like shooting righty for a left eye dominant person)

Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Back in the mid 1970's my first hunting rifle was a beautiful light weight BSA 30-06, which as the title of this thread says, I couldn't hit a barn with. In those days I knew nothing about floating barrels or glass bedding. In the end I gave it to my ex brother-in-law. On the other hand, in those days I owned a few Ruger SA's that I could shoot quite well with. A few years after moving to Oregon I bought a Ruger mod.77 in 30-06, floated the barrel and ever since it has been the most accurate hunting rifle I own. Sometimes it's just a matter of tuning a rifle to where it is accurate and then the only problem with accuracy is the shooter. Believe me, I need all the help I can get and a highly accurate rifle has helped a not so accurate shooter put a lot of venison in the freezer.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
If you are still getting those large groups even off a bench at those short ranges then something is definitely going wrong, practice, practice, practice. Get used to the guns and how they are set up, if you will hunt with a scope I would practice with it also. If you are using the open sights and getting these results, pay special attention to how you are holding your bead or blade in the rear notch, you have to hold it the same every shot or you will not group, either take a full bead or a fine bead, whichever you are comfortable with, and stick with that style of aiming. If you are using a peep sight see about getting a screw in insert for it to make the aperture smaller this will reduce the room you have for error in the rear sight. If ammo cost is holding you back maybe consider reloading, that is a good way to cut costs and also a fun hobby. Putting a ton of lead downrange is useless if you can't hit your intended target, glad to see you kicked that nasty habit. I would seriously consider picking up a cheap 22lr, you can find old bolt actions or single shots dirt cheap and ammo is around 18 20 bucks for 550 rounds, use this to get a feel for shooting and develop good basic shooting skills, it will transfer to the bigger calibers. You have to learn to walk before you can learn to run.
I would really love a nice .22, all I have is a youth model single shot. I'd love somthing with a peep sight since that's all I use, any suggestions?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #20

if it were me I would get a Ruger 10/22, you can pick up a peep sight that mounts on top of the receiver to the rear scope mounts, however my buddy put one on and discovered his front bead was too low for it so you would want to get a taller front sight as well or else shim up the peep somehow, I would go with the taller front sight, with all the stuff available for the 10/22 now that may not even be an issue anymore. Otherwise just look around and see what you can find there's tons of used 22s around.