Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle?

I don't do A LOT of shooting but some here and there. I am pretty consistent with a pistol at distances around 20 yards, getting roughly 3" groups I can't do any better than maybe 5 inch groups at the same distance with my rifles. I am cross eye dominate so I think that that may have something to do with it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by sputnik1988; 03-13-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I don't do A LOT of shooting but some here and there. I am pretty consistent with a pistol at distances around 20 yards, getting roughly 3" groups I can't do any better than maybe 5 inch groups at the same distance with my rifles. I am cross eye dominate so I think that that may have something to do with it.

Anybody have any ideas?
I am right hand but left eye dominate I just learned to shoot left hand.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Police say 21 feet is the immediate danger zone. Anything inside that distance should be a dead ringer...

Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Police say 21 feet is the immediate danger zone. Anything inside that distance should be a dead ringer...
What does that have to do with the OP's question?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Probably nothing...But since this is an open discussion forum I decided to reach out and touch someone.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6
I think you are safe with a five inch group at 21 feet in the case of self defense...lol. That being said, I think you are focusing on the target. When you are looking through sights, you are seeing two objects you are trying to focus on, the front sight post, in the case of iron sights or crosshairs in the case of a scope, and the target. Since your eye can only focus on one distance at a time, you focus on the target, which causes you to not notice small variations of the front sight post/crosshairs. It's characterized by a circular pattern around whatever you are aiming at.

The way to fix this is to focus in the front sight post. Clear sight picture/fuzzy target. Line up your clear front sight post center mass on your fuzzy target and you'll miss smaller. This causes you to notice and adjust to the movements of the sights caused by breathing, muscle fatigue, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
I am right hand but left eye dominate I just learned to shoot left hand.
After 30 some years of shooting rifles right handed; I switched a short time ago shooting them left handed, as to be able to use my dominant eye.

I instinctively use my dominant eye when shooting a pistol since I keep both eyes open.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 22

sputnik1988 I am right handed and left eyed and found I can see fine with a rear mounted peep/reciever sight . Red dots and scopes theres no issues with right hand shooting right eye. I also have an astigmatism. Pistols are shot right hand left eye.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I am left handed and right eye dominant and have always shot left handed regardless of the eye issue, I also shoot both eyes open and it works fine, I don't think the eye dominance is the issue with your grouping, what caliber is your rifle? My suggestion would be to practice with something low recoil like a rimfire and focus on the fundamentals, aiming, breathing, squeezing the trigger, this should help a lot. Also are you shooting off hand or do you use a bench or some other sort of rest? It could be that you are just one of those guys that can't hold still without a rest, I know I have days where I can't hit anything without a rest and other days I am solid as can be.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #10

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Try standing INSIDE the barn!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting