Why does the Carcano get a bad name? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Why does the Carcano get a bad name?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
and you are asleep behind the wheel but you dont see me making a deal about it.
Did I make a deal?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #22

I watched one of those specials even in the show they said the carcano is a really inaccuarate gun hmmmmmmmm.

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #23

Default This rifle

Has a great tendacy to blow up in the shooters face. I've seen several blown up rifles hanging on people's walls.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #24

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog View Post
The progressive (gain) twist rifling used in the Carcano barrel was intended to give higher velocities at lower pressures. The 160 grain 6.5 bullet was standard fare in virtually all the early 6.5 cartridges and none of the others saw any need to use a gain twist. There was no real benefit to it.
The real reasons for the Carcanos lack of popularity are numerous and I'll try to hit on a few of them.
The cocking cam was steep and cocking effort was relatively high.
The forward placement of the bolt handle was awkward in use.
The split bridge made necessary by the forward handle placement also made scope mounting problematic.
Clips were necessary for the magazine to function. In addition, the action was suitable for the Carcano cartridges only. (actually, a friend of mine converted one to 35 Remington and it worked reasonably well).
The safety was awkward to use and not in any way convenient.
The overall quality of workmanship was crude.
The Japanese used a rifle, made for them by Italy, which was a Carcano with a Mauser-type magazine. Called the Type I, this rifle was chambered for the 6.5 Japanese cartridge. I had one of these which was quite accurate but still crude. GD
The En-Blok was used, not a clip. It is similar to the En-block for the M95 Steyr.
Many were converted to 8x57 by the Germans, so the action is very strong.
I've worked on a few that were Gorgeous rifles and others that looked like a monkey made it.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 07-28-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #25

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

En-blok..., not a clip. If it looks like a duck.....
From "The German Rifle" by John Walter- "The magazine is loaded with a five-round clip inspired by earlier Mannlicher patterns". this from a description of the Gewehr 88.
From "The Book of Rifles" by WHB and Joseph Smith, "the elevator bears directly on the bottom cartridge in the clip". This from a description of the Ialian Carcano. These references along with fifty years of reference (by myself, customers and colleagues) to the sheet metal thingy holding the rounds as a "clip", may help to explain my usage of the term.
I've not seen previous reference to conversion to 8x57 but don't doubt it. It would have been no mean feat, however, since the magazine lacks both length and width.
I agree on the strength of the action. I tested two to failure back in the late sixties to get an idea of strength and they fared very well. Loads which blew the primers right out had no effect on headspace although the extractor was lost. GD