Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

In general, large warm blooded animals are more efficient in terms of heat retention so they tend to be larger north, smaller south....the opposite is true of cold blooded animals...again, my disclaimer, in general...that is the tendency.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #82

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
In general, large warm blooded animals are more efficient in terms of heat retention so they tend to be larger north, smaller south....the opposite is true of cold blooded animals...again, my disclaimer, in general...that is the tendency.
true that. largest white tail ever recorded is a 500 lb buck from Minnesota

I have a doe in my freezer from n. Montana (50 miles from Canada) and 5 months after dressing her we still have 2/3 of our meat left....and we eat venison weekly (or more)

Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #83

Liked 123 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Idiots buy 338 Lapua Magnums because of all the "1000 yard gun" hype that is currently making the rounds.

Prior to the introduction of the internet, hype-fests did not get the exposure that they do now, but they still existed due to the silliness of gun magazine writers. - The ".220 swift deer rifle" hype that went around for a while being a good example.

Last year you couldn't go to a gun forum without wading through multiple "My new AR build" posts, now it's "my 1000 yard rifle build" posts...

( Sigh )

Next year it'll be something else, just as silly.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #84
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

I have no problem with the 338 Lapua caliber,or the guy's that own/shoot them. But,the two guy's that I started this thread about had "NO" idea about reloading for this or any other caliber from what I observed.They were just a couple of guy's that had more money than sense!

Anytime I see guy's firing a weapon with handloaded ammo,and the cases are getting stuck in the chamber,primers severely flattened or pierced,and then they are using cleaning rods to knock each case they fire out of the weapon,then I will gladly call them "IDIOTS",because anyone that had any knowledge about reloading/shooting would've packed up,and taken their overloaded ammo back home and pulled the bullets to check the charges.
But,these guy's just continued shooting their weapons,and endangering not only themselves,but everyone around them. All along,bitching about the huge groups they were getting from these weapons.

The 338 Lapua is designed to shoot things at long range,not 100 yards. A good handloader,can tailor loads to shoot very well at short range,but most full powered loads will not shoot well at short range. I've shot several 338's,and had fun hitting targets out to 1k yards with them,that's what it does very well!

I owned a 50 BMG for several years,and I wouldn't have ever thought about shooting it at a 100 yard rifle range.The 300 yard range was where I did most of my load testing for it,and that was really short for that round also.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #85

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

All I can say about the 338 is that if you bring it my gun club... Please... BRING YOUR LED SLED!

I can't recall how many 338 shooters I've had to shut down because they were "running" away from the recoil.

These guys are actually shutting their eyes and pulling away from their cheek weld BEFORE the gun goes off!

I'm sorry partner, but if your not focused through your optic when the rifle discharges, there is no way you have any idea where that round is headed.

Tack

People Like This 
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #86

Liked 251 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

For the same reason they jack their trucks up so high the headlights blind all oncoming drivers.
They are IDIOTS
I lift my trucks because I take them offroad often (in hunting and actually at wheeling places).
Well that and I think a Prius would make a good speed bump.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #87

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The problem with trying to shoot this caliber at 100 yards is if you find a load that will shoot little tight groups,it probably won't be worth a damn at long range. A lot of it has to do with the choice of bullets used,and the powder charge.
I'm sure with the right combination,a 338 Lapua would shoot sub-moa all day at 100 yards,but that's not what it was designed for.

Kinda like buying a F40 Ferrari,and never driving it over 55mph.It won't be running very long without having to be worked on.It wasn't designed for going slow.

Everyone that I know that actually shoots this caliber in long range shooting,usually starts load development at 300 yards or more.
Being one of those "idiots"....I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. MOA is MOA no matter what range. A precision rifle that shoots sub MOA @ 100 will shoot sub MOA at 1000 with the proper set up and precision hand loaded ammunition. We don't care about groups, we care about MOA. One MOA is 10 inches @ 1000....get it?

The 338 Lapua is one of the best LR calibers available. It is perfectly acceptable to zero the rifle @ 100 yds.

As to the competency of the user......just go to any public range on any given day and observe the clown show....different issue all together.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #88
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post

I would not take a .338 to a hundred yard range, for the same reason you don't shoot squirrel with a 30-06. It would be overkill.
I shoot red squirrels with a 30-06 all the time, nothing to clean up just a red mist, and its good practice

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

bigjim Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #89

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
The 338 Lapua is one of the best LR calibers available. It is perfectly acceptable to zero the rifle @ 100 yds.
While I might agree with the first part of your statement, the second part is totally WRONG. You can not properly zero in a bullet that won't go to sleep till 250 yards at 100 yards. Zeroing in a unstable bullet will give you erratic results at 100 yards and make MOA at longer distances a crap shoot. Use a 300 yard zero for the 338 Lapua Mag.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 03-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #90
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

nothing wrong with wanting or owning a 338 L.M., but unless you have a place where you can stretch it's legs out, it's kind of like owning a Ferrari, that never leaves the driveway! personally, i wouldn't ant to spend anywhere from $3-7 per round to only shoot a hundred yards. to me kind of a let down.
but to each his own.

and some buy such rigs, so they can impress people and they many times are of the mindset, the more they spend on their rifle and scope, the better shooter they will be. gun stores love these guys! idiots with more money than sense are good for business. and when they grow tired of it, they will move on to another expensive hobby and do the same thing.