Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

From what I have seen at the range is most shooters are worried about grouping. They want to put all the bullets in the same hole, despite being 3" from the bullseye. I would rather shoot a 3" group and have half my shots hit the bullseye. I am under the impression that a miss is a miss even if you miss by the same distance every time.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #42

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
From what I have seen at the range is most shooters are worried about grouping. They want to put all the bullets in the same hole, despite being 3" from the bullseye. I would rather shoot a 3" group and have half my shots hit the bullseye. I am under the impression that a miss is a miss even if you miss by the same distance every time.
Bench rest shooters do this all the time. The reason is they don't want to shoot out their aiming point. In bench rest shooting you are shooting to achieve the smallest size group possible. You are not scored on where that group happens to be on the target. The guns they use are highly specialized, and will never be used in the field for taking game. Because of that, where the shots land on the target is of no concern to them.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #43

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
I do believe you can attribute this to the great "gun training" influences of Counter Strike and other online "competitive" warfare models.

Didn't that Canadian Sniper with the "Longest Recorded Kill" use a Lapua? Yeah. Yeah he did. Accuracy International AWM in .338 Lapua.

What more do you need to read when you have too much money and not enough "manhood"?

JD
It was a royal marine sniper with that rifle who beat the canadians record. This was about 2/3 years ago i think.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #44

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-longest-sniper-kill-247km/14992/

Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #45

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

Many bullets yaw as they leave the barrel. As they travel down range the yaw is eliminiated as the bullet stabilizes. How consistently it does so has a bunch to do with long range accuracy. Really accurate long range bullets stabilize consistantly and do, in fact, get more accurate after several hundred yards. I know this sounds far fetched but it is true.
Spin and velocity stabilize the bullet .once a bullet leaves the barrel it will be at its highest velocity.after that gravitational forces and wind etc will effect trajectory. A bullet cannot yaw out of the barrel then correct its self. It will follow the path its been set until gravity/wind/pressure slows it down then it can be unstable towards the end of its flight . Issues with powder load, barrel,damaged bullet head etc. Can cause a bullet to be unpredictable.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaysaway View Post
I believe Cottontop we are talking MOA and you are in inches. With that you are right, and they are right. At 100yds he was shooting 1.75 MOA but at 400yds he was shooting sub-MOA groups.
At what range do you suggest sighting in a 338 LM?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 479

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 300 mag. I don't see what there is not to love about the 338 lapua magnum other than ammo being a PITA.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #48

Liked 1085 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 300 mag. I don't see what there is not to love about the 338 lapua magnum other than ammo being a PITA.
I think I would rather have the .338-06 !..............

When all else fails.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #49

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

WHEN IN Alaska I never had a 338 Lapua but did own a 338n Win mag. It was sighted in at 2 & 1/4 inch high @ 200 yards. = dead moose at 400 yards. one shot dead center of heart. After one season I went back to my 35Whelen.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #50

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
why in the hell would you want to shoot it at a 100 yard range,and then bitch and moan about it not shooting very small groups.

I laugh everytime I see these range ninja's show up with their long range missles,and then wonder why they won't shoot at short range.That's kinda like trying to shoot sub-MOA groups at 500 yards with a 22lr,IMO.

They were very nice guy's,but I really don't think they have a clue to what they are doing with these big rifles.

I just don't get it,It must be an ego thing in owning a rifle that is bigger/better than the next guy's.

You know I find comments like these offensive. You say they were very nice guys but then you bash them.

Are they inexperienced? Yes.
Is there a more practical gun for this range? Yes.
Is it any of your business to regulate the gun they buy and the distance they use it at? No. You seem to have the same reading problem the administration does with the second amendment.

I am for more freedom not less and if they think the optimum range for a 50 BMG is 25 Yards more power to them. As long as they are following good range safety practices, I don't have to agree but I do have to support their right to do so.

Further more I would like to see a perma-ban policy enacted with the use of mall ninga, range ninga, walmart ninga. There is no reason to give the anti-gun group ammunition for their argument.

------------------------------
We think the 338 lapua should be banned even gun owners agree It has no purpose.

TxHillBilly is quoted as saying about the 338 lapua "why in the hell would you want to shoot it. (...) I laugh everytime I see these range ninjas show up. (...) I just don't get it, it must be an ego thing"

----------------------

We have enough of a fight to keep our rights we need to quit fighting internally.