Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
We had a couple of idiots with 50 BMG's that did some damage on the 100 yard range. They liked to shoot the target stands.
F**k those target stands! All like, "heres the paper wuss! lets see what you got! " Yeah I totally get it

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 09-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #12

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 539 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF

It's funny that's exactly what i did when i got my -06

Shot him in the head, we actually had meat left to eat!
Lol as long as you leave meat, then I guess it's not that bad.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

Am I missing something here? Are you saying that they should be shooting tight groups at long range but should not worry about not being able to shoot tight groups at 100 yards?
At 100 yards their groups should be pretty tight; at least sub MOA. I don't blame them for being upset at not shooting tight groups at 100 yards. The longer the range, the more spread out or open the groups will be.
cottontop

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10274 Times on 5527 Posts
Likes Given: 10151

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

I have absolutely no use for most of the guns in my safe, I bought them because I wanted them.

I have a Winchester 70, in .375 H&H. There's no practical use for a caliber that large in North America, but I wanted it, and I killed a couple of elk with it. Way, way overkill. The meat tasted just as good as the elk I killed with my .30-06.

I have an M-1 Garand, but really no use for it. The same for the AK-47 and AK-74.

If a guy wants to own and shoot a 600 nitro, or a SA .50 BMG, more power to him as long as he doesn't use it irresponsibly.

Haven't any of "youse gize" ever bought a gun you had no practical use for????
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2239 Times on 1417 Posts
Likes Given: 5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
It's funny that's exactly what i did when i got my -06

Shot him in the head, we actually had meat left to eat!

Try it on a feral cat! They can actually jump 6ft straight up and cut a flip backwards after a head shot. And contrary to popular belief cats do not always land on their feet.

I think there is just something in our nature that makes us want to use just enough bullet to do the job? There's just something about the surgical precision needed for a small efficient round. But then there are days when want to use howitzer just to what would be left. Some people are more often than not the howitzer type.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #16

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I understand the point of this thread but....i own a .338 that i compete with and can only make it to the 1000yd range once a month. My home range is 350yds and i practice weekly. I use it to get used to the trigger/recoil.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #17

Liked 1514 Times on 864 Posts
Likes Given: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Am I missing something here? Are you saying that they should be shooting tight groups at long range but should not worry about not being able to shoot tight groups at 100 yards?
At 100 yards their groups should be pretty tight; at least sub MOA. I don't blame them for being upset at not shooting tight groups at 100 yards. The longer the range, the more spread out or open the groups will be.
cottontop
The problem with trying to shoot this caliber at 100 yards is if you find a load that will shoot little tight groups,it probably won't be worth a damn at long range. A lot of it has to do with the choice of bullets used,and the powder charge.
I'm sure with the right combination,a 338 Lapua would shoot sub-moa all day at 100 yards,but that's not what it was designed for.

Kinda like buying a F40 Ferrari,and never driving it over 55mph.It won't be running very long without having to be worked on.It wasn't designed for going slow.

Everyone that I know that actually shoots this caliber in long range shooting,usually starts load development at 300 yards or more.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

I have absolutely no use for most of the guns in my safe, I bought them because I wanted them.

I have a Winchester 70, in .375 H&H. There's no practical use for a caliber that large in North America, but I wanted it, and I killed a couple of elk with it. Way, way overkill. The meat tasted just as good as the elk I killed with my .30-06.

I have an M-1 Garand, but really no use for it. The same for the AK-47 and AK-74.

If a guy wants to own and shoot a 600 nitro, or a SA .50 BMG, more power to him as long as he doesn't use it irresponsibly.

Haven't any of "youse gize" ever bought a gun you had no practical use for????
Locutus, i agree to a certain extent, as i too, have several that serve no practical purpose other than the fact that i wanted them and just because i like them. i think if i get the OP's jist of his post, many of these people tend to buy firearms they really have no experiance with and have more money than sense or experiance. they buy them because they think that firearm will make them more cool at the range and impress everyone. i have seen their type many times, just wannabe's and posers trying to look cool.

i did see a really nice, older Winchester M70 in 300 WM today at the gun show in town, and kind of wanted it, but felt it was a little overpriced at $1300 with no scope. would have been fun to own and shoot, but just not going to spend that much for a 300 WM right now.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

splane this to me lucy. what kind of groups are you hoping for at 1000 yds and what do you expect at 100?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #20

Yes, splane it to me too. What Txhillbilly is saying does not make sense. If a rifle can't print a cloverleaf group at 100 yards, it certainly won't shoot a tight group at longer range no matter what the caliber. If it did, there would be some new kind of math and physics involved that I am not aware of.
cottontop

People Like This