Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #91
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Being one of those "idiots"....I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. MOA is MOA no matter what range. A precision rifle that shoots sub MOA @ 100 will shoot sub MOA at 1000 with the proper set up and precision hand loaded ammunition. We don't care about groups, we care about MOA. One MOA is 10 inches @ 1000....get it?

The 338 Lapua is one of the best LR calibers available. It is perfectly acceptable to zero the rifle @ 100 yds.
I'd really like to see what your sub MOA 100 yard groups look like at 1000 with the 338 lapua magnum.
Most of the match grade bullets shot out of this rifle don't even stabilize good until they are 250-300 yards down range.
If you can consistently pull it off,your doing things better than a lot of guy's that shoot long range competitively every week.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #92

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

But... That would eliminate our most useful terms when describing half of our own members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post

Further more I would like to see a perma-ban policy enacted with the use of mall ninga, range ninga, walmart ninga. There is no reason to give the anti-gun group ammunition for their argument.

------------------------------
We think the 338 lapua should be banned even gun owners agree It has no purpose.

TxHillBilly is quoted as saying about the 338 lapua "why in the hell would you want to shoot it. (...) I laugh everytime I see these range ninjas show up. (...) I just don't get it, it must be an ego thing"

----------------------

We have enough of a fight to keep our rights we need to quit fighting internally.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #93

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
But... That would eliminate our most useful terms when describing half of our own members?

Yeah, heaven forbid if we treat each other with a little respect. Nevermind the hours works or months saved to afford it.

"I can't afford that rifle, car, truck, ect. so with my small manhood I must resort to name calling."

I thought you couldn't purchase a gun until you were 18. Judging for some of the comments I must be wrong.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #94

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
Yeah, heaven forbid if we treat each other with a little respect. Nevermind the hours works or months saved to afford it.

"I can't afford that rifle, car, truck, ect. so with my small manhood I must resort to name calling."

I thought you couldn't purchase a gun until you were 18. Judging for some of the comments I must be wrong.
I guess so...
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #95
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1236 Times on 839 Posts
Likes Given: 166

House cleaning performed, please remain civil or thread will be closed

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #96

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I'd really like to see what your sub MOA 100 yard groups look like at 1000 with the 338 lapua magnum.
Most of the match grade bullets shot out of this rifle don't even stabilize good until they are 250-300 yards down range.
If you can consistently pull it off,your doing things better than a lot of guy's that shoot long range competitively every week.
As a long time rifle competitor, both in civilian life and in the military, I have to respectfully disagree. Projectiles "de-stabilize" when velocity becomes subsonic. The projectile is perfectly stabilized when it leaves the muzzle. Bullet weight, barrel twist, etc. are the variables.

The zero distance is based more on preference than need. My .308, .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua are all zeroed @ 100 yds. For me, it is a base for dialing up after ranging the target in mils with precision optics.

If you would like more reference as to how to use the precision rifle, try snipershide.com, you can learn a lot there.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #97

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I've noticed as a RSO at the local gun club that very often, the guys with the neatest, newest and most expensive equipment are oftentimes the guys that are the newest and have the least amount of actual skill.

I spent a couple of hours shooting at the 200 meter range a few years ago with a guy with .338 Lap out of what he claimed was a $4000 rig. Funny the guy could not find paper while I was shooting 2 1/2 inch groups with factory corelockt in 30-06, secondhand Remington 700 and older Nikon Buckmaster scope. This was pre-trigger replacement pre stock replacement so we are talking about a $400 'rig' at that time. Not shooting competition good but I'd call that good shooting for what I expect

Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #98

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I have no problem with the 338 Lapua caliber,or the guy's that own/shoot them. But,the two guy's that I started this thread about had "NO" idea about reloading for this or any other caliber from what I observed.They were just a couple of guy's that had more money than sense!

Anytime I see guy's firing a weapon with handloaded ammo,and the cases are getting stuck in the chamber,primers severely flattened or pierced,and then they are using cleaning rods to knock each case they fire out of the weapon,then I will gladly call them "IDIOTS",because anyone that had any knowledge about reloading/shooting would've packed up,and taken their overloaded ammo back home and pulled the bullets to check the charges.
But,these guy's just continued shooting their weapons,and endangering not only themselves,but everyone around them. All along,bitching about the huge groups they were getting from these weapons.

The 338 Lapua is designed to shoot things at long range,not 100 yards. A good handloader,can tailor loads to shoot very well at short range,but most full powered loads will not shoot well at short range. I've shot several 338's,and had fun hitting targets out to 1k yards with them,that's what it does very well!

I owned a 50 BMG for several years,and I wouldn't have ever thought about shooting it at a 100 yard rifle range.The 300 yard range was where I did most of my load testing for it,and that was really short for that round also.
Maybe instead of calling them idiots in your head you could have seen if they were welcome to some help, let them know why the cases were getting stuck. Who knows, they might have blown you off but then again maybe they would have listened and in turn made the range safer for everyone.

I know that's what I would want to happen if I was in their place.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #99

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Need not say anymore. +1 ^
:
:

Maybe instead of calling them idiots in your head you could have seen if they were welcome to some help, let them know why the cases were getting stuck. Who knows, they might have blown you off but then again maybe they would have listened and in turn made the range safer for everyone.

Last edited by TerryM; 03-13-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #100

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
As a long time rifle competitor, both in civilian life and in the military, I have to respectfully disagree. Projectiles "de-stabilize" when velocity becomes subsonic. The projectile is perfectly stabilized when it leaves the muzzle. Bullet weight, barrel twist, etc. are the variables.

The zero distance is based more on preference than need. My .308, .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua are all zeroed @ 100 yds. For me, it is a base for dialing up after ranging the target in mils with precision optics.

If you would like more reference as to how to use the precision rifle, try snipershide.com, you can learn a lot there.

Finally someone that knows what they are talking about, bullets are the most stable they will ever get as they leave the barrel. Those that say the bullets stabilize "down range" please don't state things like this, if you have info to back it up i'm all ears, but I don't want a new inexperienced member to read this and accept it as real info. We are our worst enemies if we allow misinformation to occupy our forums.

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides