Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1180 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Default Why do Idiot's buy 338 Lapua Magnums?

While at the range today doing some ammo testing,there were 2 guy's that came in seperately with Savage FCP 338 Lapua Magnum rifles.
Now,I have nothing against this caliber,but if you want to shoot this caliber,why in the hell would you want to shoot it at a 100 yard range,and then bitch and moan about it not shooting very small groups.

Why do these guy's think a caliber that was designed to shoot 1000-1500 yards accurately will make a 100 yard tack driver? I laugh everytime I see these range ninja's show up with their long range missles,and then wonder why they won't shoot at short range.That's kinda like trying to shoot sub-MOA groups at 500 yards with a 22lr,IMO.

Both of these guy's handloaded their own ammo,and they were loading way too hot.The cases were getting stuck in the chambers,and they were having to use a cleaning rod to knock the cases out.
When I saw them doing this,I walked down the line to where they were shooting and asked them if I could look at their spent cases.I noticed that they both had flattened/blown primers,and informed them they should back off the powder charges before they damage their gun's or themselves.
They were very nice guy's,but I really don't think they have a clue to what they are doing with these big rifles.

Around here,unless you own or know someone that has a big piece of property,you have to drive around 2hrs to get to a 1000 yard range.And unless your a member of these shooting ranges,there are only a couple days a month that they have public access,even then,unless you have been qualified to shoot at over 600 yards,you can't use the longer ranges.

I just don't get it,It must be an ego thing in owning a rifle that is bigger/better than the next guy's.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I do believe you can attribute this to the great "gun training" influences of Counter Strike and other online "competitive" warfare models.

Didn't that Canadian Sniper with the "Longest Recorded Kill" use a Lapua? Yeah. Yeah he did. Accuracy International AWM in .338 Lapua.

What more do you need to read when you have too much money and not enough "manhood"?

JD

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

are thay wearing tac gear and bloused pants?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2703 Times on 1413 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Why do people buy 500 S&W magnum revolvers when they live 1000 miles from the nearest brown bear? Little dingle, big gun. Handloaders who have no clue give all of us a bad rap. No "load development". Just fill it to the brim and go bang! When they get a blown case in the face, they want to sue Savage. Idiots.

IMHO the .338 RUM is just as good (still overkill unless you are a Canadian sniper in the "Stan").

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

most common .338 bullets dont like being driven at extremely fast speeds. most of the 338 available are hunting bullets and wont give sniper accurate results regardless of loading or shooting skill.

the very few bullets for the lapua that are extremely accurate run around 1-3$ per bullet...

ive seen some folks that actually knew what they were doing with the 338 lapua shoot 1 hole 10shot strings at 100 yards. its not a round that you just load up any old powder and top it with any old .338 bullet and perform wonders.

not too long ago a savage in 338lapua was on my consider to buy list. after some moderate research into costs loading requirments and bullet availability i nixed the idea and went 308nato. the idea of a 416 and 50bmg have also been toyed with and similar results after research into the logistics and the effort isnt worth the cost to me. the wife was all for either caliber in a barret semiauto but the logistics just didnt addup.

anyway, i do agree that the round seems to attract a lot of people without much sense heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Man, this is just an example of "the weapon doesn't make the warrior"

They obviously simply don't know what they're doing. And cheap crap ammo is way better than poorly handloaded ammo.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

If I had the kinda cash and property to set refrigerator boxes at 750 yards and shoot em with a .338 I would. I would also buy .500 S&W and shoot it for fun.

I would not take a .338 to a hundred yard range, for the same reason you don't shoot squirrel with a 30-06. It would be overkill.

I can imagine shooting a .338 would be fun, and I do admit to renting the .500 S&W at the local range (it was a blast but a touch too much). But I don't have the cash to do either, and if I did I would probably buy a Perrazi instead.

-Matt

Old 09-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Sad tale. Also, annoying. I hate it when idiots buy expensive toys they have no idea how to use. Reminds me of stories that pop up every so often, about some a**hole totaling a gorgeous supercar days after they bought it. Those morons had no idea what potential they had, much less how to use it correctly.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1855 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 568

We had a couple of idiots with 50 BMG's that did some damage on the 100 yard range. They liked to shoot the target stands.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #10

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns

I would not take a .338 to a hundred yard range, for the same reason you don't shoot squirrel with a 30-06. It would be overkill.
It's funny that's exactly what i did when i got my -06

Shot him in the head, we actually had meat left to eat!