Why do I want a DPMS LR308?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why do I want a DPMS LR308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Default Why do I want a DPMS LR308?

Well crap,I went to my friends gunshop the other day and he had a DPMS LR-308 setting there on the rack and I just had to picked it up and check it out. Now I want the damn thing,and cannot figure out why.
I really have no use for it,other than another EBR to shoot and set in the safe,and I have always shot/hunted with a 30/06 and 300 Win Mag for my .30caliber guns.
I'm sure I would have a blast with this weapon,but should I get it?
If I do,I will probably trade in my Ruger #1 300 Win Mag since it rarely gets shot anymore.My Savage Tactical 300WM is just too much fun to shoot.

Ballistics between the 308-30/06-300WM aren't big enough to need a discussion. They are just too close,and to me,one isn't better than the other.

Let me here your thoughts,Pro's & Con's on the DPMS LR308. Talk me into it or out of it. Just don't start saying this brand AR 10 is better than that one,I have never bit into the brand name crap and DPMS builds a nice gun just like the others do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

TX - If I was going to add another AR to the safe, it would be an AR-10 in .308 specifically. I wouldn't try a wildcat in the upper receiver in "this" climate...

The DPMS, and I believe RL357 has one, is one hell of a good weapon. It will shoot minute of angle ( Assuming it has the same 20" barrel that I have read numerous reports on )....

And, most importantly, there is NO REASON to suspect that, should, End of Days happen, that there WON'T be a tremendous amount of quality ammo all over the wasteland for that monster.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would trade the Ruger in a heartbeat for an AR-10 in .308 from DPMS.

I vote DO IT!!

JD

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If I just wanted to blow money on a rifle I don't really need, it would be another NM or loaded M1A.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #4

I've been trying to decide myself on the DPMS .308- 24" bull barrell, or whether to get a Remington 700. any input would be appreciated-

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra

Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
TX - If I was going to add another AR to the safe, it would be an AR-10 in .308 specifically. I wouldn't try a wildcat in the upper receiver in "this" climate...

The DPMS, and I believe RL357 has one, is one hell of a good weapon. It will shoot minute of angle ( Assuming it has the same 20" barrel that I have read numerous reports on )....

And, most importantly, there is NO REASON to suspect that, should, End of Days happen, that there WON'T be a tremendous amount of quality ammo all over the wasteland for that monster.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would trade the Ruger in a heartbeat for an AR-10 in .308 from DPMS.

I vote DO IT!!

JD
Thanks,JD. I'm still going to get the 300 Fireball/Whisper upper for my last AR 15 lower,just waiting on the mfg's to get caught up from last Oct-Nov craziness. There's just something about firing a 200/220gr projectile from a 223 case subsonic through a nice quiet can that excites me!!!

And I agree if the SHTF,308/7.62 ammo shouldn't be a problem to locate if the need came,but as you know I reload most of mine so I would just have to buy some new supplies and stock up.

The one at the gunshop has a 24" bull barrel,with free floated forearm,and it might give my 110 FLP 300WM a run for the money at the long shots,with a good trigger installed.

The Ruger #1 has been a great gun to me and has taken it's share of game. It has some great wood on it and I love a good lookin piece of walnut,but it is a gun that I wouldn't loose sleep over if it wasn't in the safe. I'll just have to see if he will give me what it is worth. He knows how I take care of all my guns,and every gun that we have traded,he has sold in a couple days.

THB

JD,the photo at the bottom of your post is a FINE looking gun. Yours,or one built for a customer?

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 09-10-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
If I just wanted to blow money on a rifle I don't really need, it would be another NM or loaded M1A.
Yes,The Springfield M1A is a nice gun. It's just not one I'd buy,just don't like the feel/fit of them.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you are that conflicted buy it and send it to me for a few years to work the kinks out of it. I will pm you my address and the address of my FFL. You let me know the cost of shipping and I will send that as well.....

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
JD,the photo at the bottom of your post is a FINE looking gun. Yours,or one built for a customer?
That's mine. Custom built from the ground up on a pre-'64 Winchester action.

JD

Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #9

I've got the Lr-308b, same as the one RL357 has. Everything on it is the same as the one your looking at except it has an 18" blued bull barrel instead of the 24" stainless. I don't regret buying it at all. Haven't had any problems with it after the break in period, and even then it was only a few FTE's. I've gotten my groups down to about 1" or a little over at 100 yards with 150 Gr. Winchester Super-X. I believe RL said he's had groups down to .4" at 100 yards with reloads. Part of my problem with it is the trigger, form the factory it's pretty gritty and heavy as well. The heavy part I can deal with but the grittiness really messes me up. I took some 0000 steel wool and polished the trigger and that helped, but still not enough so I've been looking at some 2-stage triggers. I've heard good things about RRA and Gisselle. I would get the RRA but you have to shave off some of the back of the hammer to get it to clear the bolt, and that's not something I wanna do on a $120 trigger, so I think I'm just gonna go with the Gisselle.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well I went to get it and someone already bought it. I guess I'll just have to wait until my buddy gets another one in,all four wholesalers he deals with are out of stock. I told him to get a 20" barrel for me,the 24" is a little longer,heavier than I want.

FCross,I have RRA NM triggers in all 3 of my AR15's and that is all I will use. If you have to grind a little off to make them work in an AR10 that is a simple job and you will like that trigger. Timney makes a drop in unit for the AR10,but it cost a little more. They are great triggers also,I have a couple in my bolt actions.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 09-10-2009 at 11:24 PM.