Why do I want an AR-15?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Why do I want an AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why do I want an AR-15?

Hi Everyone,

I ventured out to "the" gun store in our area and was floored by the AR builds they offer. Just about everything except Ruger's new SR-556. So my question is why do I want an AR?

Cheap to shoot? - yes?
Expensive to build? - without a doubt
Fun? - without a doubt
Wife approved? - absolutely not
anything I'm missing?

...for me I'm not going to go hunting with the thing, varmints or otherwise. Just paper, cans, etc.

So...what AR is the best to build, buy? What about Ruger's new SR-556?

Thanks for the input.

~Steve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess my question to you would be, why wouldn't a person want a nice black gun? I can't think of a reason not to own as many as you can afford. IMO as responsible firearm owners we need to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

SR-556 is a great firearm, although, a little pricey, but so are most of the piston guns, for example, the Sigs.

You should be able to do a pretty decent build for around $700.00. Check out AR-15.com and go to the Del-Ton link.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 01-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith3351 View Post
Expensive to build? - without a doubt
I would have to ask your definition of "expensive" - because by comparison, I would say many other platforms are far more expensive to "build" than an entry level AR.

JD

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I guess my question to you would be, why wouldn't a person want a nice black gun? I can't think of a reason not to own as many as you can afford. IMO as responsible firearm owners we need to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

SR-556 is a great firearm, although, a little pricey, but so are most of the piston guns, for example, the Sigs.

You should be able to do a pretty decent build for around $700.00. Check out AR-15.com and go to the Del-Ton link.
So someone educate me on what I would need to get a complete AR going and what's "best?" I see kits with everything "except a stripped lower receiver." What barrel length is good, what type of barrel, etc?

How are these things to maintain and clean? I'm also assuming if I were to order from an online source it has to be shipped to my firearm dealer?

~Steve

Last edited by ssmith3351; 01-04-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

You can build an AR. Your gunsmith has to build your bolt gun and when he does this he chargs lots of money for labor. I dunno about you but I charge myself .01 per hour in labor for working on guns. I know I am cheap but I am working for myself and I am not rich so there for I can't pay to well.

CMMG has bargin bins for $600 they are not going to shoot he hair off of a nats nuts at 300 yards but they will shoot just fine.

I am currently looking at an AR build or buy check out my thread.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Steve, if your not going to start kicking in doors and just want do some plinking, I'd go with the .556/.223 format in a 20" barrel.

There are so many options, it's best to handle a few rifles and see what trips your trigger. The skies the limit with these firearms. Stay tuned.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Steve, if your not going to start kicking in doors and just want do some plinking, I'd go with the .556/.223 format in a 20" barrel.

There are so many options, it's best to handle a few rifles and see what trips your trigger. The skies the limit with these firearms. Stay tuned.
Okay I'll stay tuned. I'm intrigued by the prospect of building my own and will need to do some research on what's needed, how to go about building one, etc.

Going to del-ton's site I've selected a "kit" but don't understand what I'll need and how all this will go together.

Item Name: 20" Rifle Kit
Item Price: $794.00
Options:
20 Rifle Kit -Barrel:20" DTI 1x9 Chrome Lined
20 Rifle Kit -Gas Tubes:Standard Gas Tube
20 Rifle Kit -Handguards:Standard Handguard
Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC:Chrome Bolt & Carrier
Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock:Magpul PRS Buttstock - Black
Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips:Ergo Sure Grip -Right hand
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handle:None
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders:Phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks:Standard A2 Front Sight
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts:Standard Lower Parts
Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle:Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers:Flat Top Upper with T-Marks

What am I missing with this? The bolt and mags? Is this all assembled and would it need to be shipped to my local firearm dealer to be legally sold?

Thanks,

~Steve

Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The kit can be shipped directly to you. You must purchased the stripped lower separate. The lower contains the firearm serial numbers and must be bought from an licensed firearm's dealer or shipped to an FFL.

In Wisconsin you must be 21 years old to purchase a stripped lower as it can be used to build a handgun.

Stripped lowers are going for around $150.00 give or take.

Check out JD's personal advice thread in the AR-15 section of the forum. Lots of good stuff there. He's the man.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 01-04-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #9

Quote:
The kit can be shipped directly to you. You must purchased the stripped lower separate. The lower contains the firearm serial numbers and must be bought from an licensed firearm's dealer or shipped to an FFL.

In Wisconsin you must be 21 years old to purchase a stripped lower as it can be used to build a handgun.

Stripped lowers are going for around $150.00 give or take.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for *the* book on how to make one of these and what's the best of the best in parts, lowers, uppers and barrels, etc? Would I be better off just purchasing a complete AR from a local dealer? Its it safer? I'm concerned that what I would put together might not function properly, blow up on me etc.

~Steve

Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #10

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had your same trepidations, but I did my own yesterday in two hours. I assembled everything but the upper and bought a Rock River M4 for about $540.

The assembly of the lower receiver, after I purchased the kit, was a snap. Took me a couple hours and, when I build the next one, should take at least half that time. I followed JD's guide in the "Knowledge Base" and a video online. Free videos are everywhere.

The only tools I had to buy were a $15 set of roll punches. It's amazing easy it all was to put together, no worse than a model airplane.

Don't buy one already assembled because, as Dillinger and SloRyde told me, you learn much more about the gun in doing it yourself....plus it's cheaper...and fun.

Newest Threads