Why are Browning Rifles so expensive? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why are Browning Rifles so expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What makes Browning rifle cost more than Remington's, Ruger's and others as well. I see nothing more to them maybe the 60* bolt throw because it has 3 locking lugs and not the std 2. The BOSS doesn't count because some one lights one of them off next to me I will shot it up there ARES.

I think Browning makes a fine looking rifle the action lines are some of the best looking out there. But when it comes right down to it. No aftermarket actions are based on a Browning A-bolt, the A-bolt is your youngest of any bolt action on the market today.

So tell me why I should pay $400 more for a browning varmint rifle in 223 than a Remington varmint rifle in 223?
I've been thinking more about this and you may as well ask why are Kimber's more than Remington's, Winchesters' and Savages.

Or ask why articles call guns that can't average a group less than 2" accurate (or is it the writer)?

It boils down to being a very individual decision. That is the great thing about a free market/capitalistic system - money flows (if unimpeded) to its highest/best use in any given market sector. Unlike government mandates, no one forces anyone to buy a particular brand or the 'government' model of anything. Ultimately the market will ruthlessly weed out those that cannot or will not provide a value the user wants for the cost involved.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #32

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was a smith for BrowninG for 38 years and I can tell you from personal experience that they put a lot into their product and stand behind what they sell all the way. If you ever saw what they cover from people just being stupid (and there are a LOT of them out there) you are more than getting your monies worth. First off from the stand point that more than likely you won't have any problems with their product to start with.
And That's A FACT !!!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #33

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So tell me why I should pay $400 more for a browning varmint rifle in 223 than a Remington varmint rifle in 223?
For the same reason you are paying Remington prices when you can get a basic Savage Combo gun/scope for $329 at Cabelas on sale that will do exactly the same....

Brownig does more handfitting and tuning on their rifles than Remington, Ruger etc. They also, generaly speaking, use better parts like Bell and Carlson stocks for their synthetic models instead of Remington inexpensive hollow plastic on their basic models. They do a basic bedding job on their guns and tune their triggers as opposed to just slapping one on. I've owned many Browning guns and they have all been great shooters and fine looking firearms. I also own a bunch of Remingtons that perform very well. The Brownings all are fine from the box. The Remingtons ALL get tweaked somehow.

Many look at Brownings as high end guns, some look at them as entry level upscale. The fact is that most folks shop based on the balance in their checkbooks and their priorities. It does not matter what you buy, someone will think you spent too much money and someone else will look at your stuff and thing you went cheap. It's all perspective....

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #34

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sounds like the answer is;
"It only cost alittle more to go first class"
Buy once, cry once.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I think that translates to the less you spend on a rifle, the more in proportion to spend on optics. That's because you're not going to get decent optics for under 150$-regardless if you spend 100$ or 300$ on the rifle. As you go up the scale, the price difference shifts. I've never had over a 800$ scope-regardless of what I spent to build the rifle (which is incidentally much less than most people spend due to me doing it all myself). I DO however put 200$ optics on my "serious" .22s. Up to a point, you get what you pay for in optics. Where you put that breakpoint is up to you. After that, the name/rep comes into play somewhat IMO. Just don't put a 30$ scope on a 700$ rifle and expect it to perform to it's limit.
I have NcStar crappy scopes on two guns, I'm not a hunter-
But I used to not be able to hit the paper & now I can

Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #36

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I have NcStar crappy scopes on two guns, I'm not a hunter-
But I used to not be able to hit the paper & now I can
You are saying you could not hit the paper w/ a crappy scope originally, or you were shooting iron sights on a Browning?? An NC Star on a Browning....

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #37

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I bought a 22 BLR for $300 hardly used, could not shoot a 1" group at 25 yds. I sold for what I paid and felt guilty about it. About a month ago I bought an identical rifle with close serial Number to the first one. It shoots one ragged hole. I had to manually remove each shell when I shot it. I only paid $150 for it but it wouldnt eject. I took it to smith to put in a missing ejector spring @ $44. I don't know why it was missing but I am assuming it had been taken apart by the previous owner. I am to pick it up at 3:00 pm today. I think it is a beautiful 22 and it shoots well, has a short stroke (30 degree) lever and really nice fit and finish. I do have Remingtons and Savages that shoot as well but not as pretty. It's almost too pretty to hunt with.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I bought a 22 BLR for $300 hardly used, could not shoot a 1" group at 25 yds. I sold for what I paid and felt guilty about it. About a month ago I bought an identical rifle with close serial Number to the first one. It shoots one ragged hole. I had to manually remove each shell when I shot it. I only paid $150 for it but it wouldnt eject. I took it to smith to put in a missing ejector spring @ $44. I don't know why it was missing but I am assuming it had been taken apart by the previous owner. I am to pick it up at 3:00 pm today. I think it is a beautiful 22 and it shoots well, has a short stroke (30 degree) lever and really nice fit and finish. I do have Remingtons and Savages that shoot as well but not as pretty. It's almost too pretty to hunt with.
Hello. Though usually pretty decent the BL-22 hasn't always been the most accurate rifle around. The rate of twist is different for the LR than it is for shorts (did you know that ?) and it's VERY DIFFICULT to do a "one size fits all" thing. On rare occasions the ejector spring can get out on it's own but if it's missing it was usually because a " GUNSMITH " took it apart and it fell out. You can solve that problem by slightly spreading the last coil (the big one) out and then "screwing the spring" into the frame. Then it wont come out unless it's removed on purpose. The BL-22 is a real nice little rifle. Very reliable for the most part. Kind of tricky to work on and DEFINATELY NOT the rifle to start your " Gunsmithing Career" on. Over the years I worked on many many hundreds of them . At one time I shot 250 of them at one time back to back to check the point of impact in relationship to the point of aim. That took a little while !! If you have any more questions of comments feel free to ask. FYI the B-78 is a great rifle also but not to many of us really know how to properly work on them but that's another story.
Regards, Vearl Brown

Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #39

I have never owned a Browning but i will soon, I have always wanted one but didnt have the money. there is a difference, I can walk into a gun shop and if there is 1 browning sitting next to 100 others I can spot that browning from a mile away they are that much nicer in looks and finsh alone.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You are saying you could not hit the paper w/ a crappy scope originally, or you were shooting iron sights on a Browning?? An NC Star on a Browning....
No, I was just trying to say that with my limited use of a scope I found that the crappy scope seems to work fine for me. I'd love to buy a good scope, but I can't guess which one I need or magnification.