Why are Browning Rifles so expensive? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why are Browning Rifles so expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
Harley Davidson
What do them noisy gd things have to do with guns?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What do them noisy gd things have to do with guns?
Sorry, I thought it would be more apparent.

What I was saying is that Browning rifles are more expensive than other rifles for the same reason Harleys are more expensive than other motorcycles.

That is, they are both legendary brand names that people are willing to pay extra for. This is due to both the prestige of ownership and the perception of higher quality in the product.

I might be wrong, but I believe it is a valid point.

Regards, Canis

Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #13

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Browning built a reputation when their guns were built by F.N. in Belgium. They were known for their high quality far and wide. Now they're made in Japan and the quality while still good isn't what it was. What you're paying for is the name they built for themselves back when, just like Colt.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Browning makes a good stick, but it's not the best factory actioned rifle out there.

The do have some consistently good barrels, of the ones I have seen, and they do have a pretty good locktime ( meaning that their firing pins aren't super heavy and they travel well when the trigger is pulled ).

Outside of that, you are paying for a name and that name, exactly like Remington, has had thousands of ads placed in thousands of magazines to get that name in your face.

When Cerberus bought Remington they doubled their advertising budget for the two years BEFORE they went through to re-tool their shop. Think about that for a moment....

Will the market bear what is being asked? Yes = They are getting what they are asking for the product. If they are, then they are making money their way.

More units out there, at a lower average price, is double or triple the liability and warranty headaches. Why not have 100,000 units with the same profit margin of 500,000 lower priced units IF the market will bear it?

JD

Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #15

Liked 100 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Those among yall badmouthing Brownings-exactly how much 1st hand experience do you have with the current rifles being produced? I'm not talking about somebody else's rifle either. I work on all kinds of rifles and find strengths & weaknesses in them all. I just happen to like the features/quality that Brownings offer-a LOT.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #16

I don't have any that is why I am asking the questions.

I just don't think a bolt action mass produced rifle needs a price tag of over $750. I still think that is getting a bit high.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #17

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've handled/fired old ones and new ones and IMHO the quality of the new ones while still good is better on the old F.N. rifles.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #18

"I just don't think a bolt action mass produced rifle needs a price tag of over $750. I still think that is getting a bit high."

lol! $750 is a cheap scope. I guess we have different views on pricing for guns!

As for Browning. Not a big fan. I like to buy "made in the USA" so I am a little biased. I would suggest a Kimber or Cooper for a varmint rifle but if you think 750 is a lot of money you will probably crap your pants if you look at those two brands.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33Nelson View Post
"I just don't think a bolt action mass produced rifle needs a price tag of over $750. I still think that is getting a bit high."

lol! $750 is a cheap scope. I guess we have different views on pricing for guns!

As for Browning. Not a big fan. I like to buy "made in the USA" so I am a little biased. I would suggest a Kimber or Cooper for a varmint rifle but if you think 750 is a lot of money you will probably crap your pants if you look at those two brands.
I agree with you about the scope. A good rule of thumb is to spend as much on the scope, as you did on the rifle, or more.

But I gotta point out that as awesome as Cooper Arms rifles are, Dan Cooper supported and donated to Pres. Obama's campaign. I would not buy a Cooper until that little faux pas has been appropriately addressed.

Now, back to the Browning rifles so we don't hijack this thread. The A-Bolt is a rifle that needs to be fired to be really appreciated. The short bolt throw alone makes it a winner, and couple that with a VERY ergonomic tang mounted safety to get a very fast action bolt gun. They shoot great.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #20

My $500 scope does exactly what your $750 does so why spent the extra $250 on it?

Just like my $600 Remington does what that $1000 Browning does so again why spend the extra money on it.