Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why is an ak so much cheaper than an ar 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL
I will never give up the AR. I just don't see it happening unless someone's Star Trek wet dream comes true and somone invents a phaser that will do that whole "disintegration" thing.

I will likewise also always use and build gassers. I have bought 2 piston guns, and I still prefer my gas guns. They are lighter in the front end...and I have never had the much talked about, yet seldom seen failure with a standard AR.

I can build an AR that will run like the Energizer Bunny for right around $475, NOT including BUIS (I only use Mag Pul) or a dot. If you shop smart, buy a quality lower...you can literally frankenstein a nice rifle. If you buy an A2 upper...you don't NEED the BUIS, and I have found that guys are selling those for about $40 cheaper than A3 uppers.

If you want a dot...spend $100 and get the Sig STS-081. I got one in a trade, and it has literally replaced both my Aim Point Micros. The Micros live in the ammo-locker now. I don't use them. It holds zero like a vault, and has a bright light filter that is fantastic.

So, for about $425 - 430 if you go with A2....you cab build a nice, basic AR. That's running in the pack with a Tantal, or a czech AK as far as price goes.

"Cheap" is relative. I think of cheap as flimsy, and not of decent quality. I like the term "inexpensive" or "good value". It's like defensive ammo...I am not going to bet my ass on "cheap".
I always wanted to build one but, all the little mechanizems that go inside the gun just make it look complicated. Any tips for someone that wants to do one for the first time

Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #172
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100 View Post
I always wanted to build one but, all the little mechanizems that go inside the gun just make it look complicated. Any tips for someone that wants to do one for the first time
Buy decent quality first of all. My personal reccomendation for a lower is: Bushmaster, DMPS, or Stag. I have the absolute best build luck with those. STAY way from Plum Crappy!

When it comes to barrel selection...make SURE you buy one chambered for 5.56 NOT .223!

There is a book online for building AR's....it's a good place to start.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #173

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You need only take a close look at the AK and AR. The AK receiver is made from stamped steel while the AR is machined, which is far more expensive. The AK was designed to be cheap and easy to manufacture with relatively unskilled labor. Also, many of the AKs are sourced from ex-communist bloc countries with cheap labor, no environmental regs and generally lower costs. Most ARs are made by US and Western European firms with more expensive labor and overhead.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

Buy decent quality first of all. My personal reccomendation for a lower is: Bushmaster, DMPS, or Stag. I have the absolute best build luck with those. STAY way from Plum Crappy!

When it comes to barrel selection...make SURE you buy one chambered for 5.56 NOT .223!

There is a book online for building AR's....it's a good place to start.
What about about the trigger mechanism and bolt action etc...

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #175
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
What about about the trigger mechanism and bolt action etc...
Most any Mil Spec parts kits will work very well for your first rifle build.

Go to Brownell's or Midway USA to find parts kits too...they sell quality.

I usually put rifles together from gun show parts because i have been doing it so long that I "know" the parts...I know that sounds kind of ambiguous...it's just i sort of have developed the feel for them.

Stay away from being too fancy or tricked on your first rifle...it will teach you a LOT.

BUY A NEW GAS TUBE...don't get a used one.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

Most any Mil Spec parts kits will work very well for your first rifle build.

Go to Brownell's or Midway USA to find parts kits too...they sell quality.

I usually put rifles together from gun show parts because i have been doing it so long that I "know" the parts...I know that sounds kind of ambiguous...it's just i sort of have developed the feel for them.

Stay away from being too fancy or tricked on your first rifle...it will teach you a LOT.

BUY A NEW GAS TUBE...don't get a used one.
So your saying I can build a 5.56 for $500.
How much did you get the A2 upper for?

Last edited by TheHunter100; 05-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #177
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So your saying I can build a 5.56 for $500.
How much did you get the A2 upper for?
If you shop really carefully...yes.

I have been buying uppers (stripped) for about $60. They are non-serialized part...so, you can order them. If you want a complete upper...which will run about $400 for a base...you just shot your budget.

Shop the shows carefully.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #178

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/167797_American_Tactical_Imports_Barrels__Choke_Tu bes_DELTON_DTIGLR102_LOW_RCVR.aspx

Heres a lower i found with a good price, and if i find the upper for that much would how much for the kit? And the barrels i searched are for $250.

Sorry to many questions i dont want to be a bother

Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #179
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Because it is a piece of junk. Why anybody would want one I don't have a clue.
cottontop
Amen on the junk part, first time I shot one fullyauto I got splinters no really and the way it kind of vibrates when you shoot FA I thought it was going to blow apart... but it was kinda fun

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #180

Im convinced, the hunting trip was canceled im just going to save up for a 6.8 spc ar 15 ill build it. It will take all year to save for it but i have nothing but time