Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Why the .243 Winchester?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

Default Why the .243 Winchester?

I think it's a shame that the .243 has caught on with extreme popularity while the 6mm Remington is almost unheard of these days. The old story that all of the big guru gun writers told is probably the reason for the death of the 6mm. If you remember, they said that the original .244 Remington with its 1 in 12 rifling twist would not stabilize the 100 gr. spitizer. The .243 Win. came out at about the same time w/ a 1 in 9 twist and thus sales for the 243 excelerated while the 6mm failed in sales. I'm not so sure if all of this is true as I have seen many .244's shoot 100gr. bullets dead on. I think the reason was that the .244 was brought out in the butt ugly Rem. model 722 while the .243 Win. was made in the very pretty model 70, and that was the main reason for the demise of the .244.

So, after all of this, I personally wished that the .6mm had stayed (I know it is still available, but it is now mostly a handloading proposition) and trying to find a 6mm Rem. rifle is almost impossible. The reason? The longer case neck ie a plus, and the case offers a little more powder capasity than the .243. Other than that, they are almost identical ballistic wise, but I just prefer the 6mm Rem.
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8609 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Same deal with .220 Swift, and .22-250. Both good calibers, one was swooned over by the writers, the other left to languish.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

You are correct c3, though the .220 Swift was a little more of a barrel burner, but, loaded down a couple of hundred feet per second (and it was still fast) it did not burn out barrels any more that the .22-250. The gun writers killed it. Too bad.
We could probably name a few more this has happened to. The .348 and the.358 come to mind.
cottontop

Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.222 rem and 223 are another similar deal.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

had one of the major gunmakers offered the 6mm in a bolt action with the proper twist ratio barrel, we might be saying the reverse of the 243! makes a person wonder how a company decides what guns and calibers to market and for what reasons. the 220 swift was plagued by the powders of it's time and now with better powder selection, it can be very fast and accurate cartridge that doesn't erode barrels like the older ones did. but the 22-250 has way too much commercial success now, so very few companies even chamber rifles in it anymore. i have had several 220 swifts and would like to add another one in the future, and i may have to resort to the custom rifle route in order to have one. i have even looked at gun shows and from time to time look at the gun stores and pawnshops to try and find one. they just don't seem to be very many out there anymore.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
had one of the major gunmakers offered the 6mm in a bolt action with the proper twist ratio barrel, we might be saying the reverse of the 243! makes a person wonder how a company decides what guns and calibers to market and for what reasons. the 220 swift was plagued by the powders of it's time and now with better powder selection, it can be very fast and accurate cartridge that doesn't erode barrels like the older ones did. but the 22-250 has way too much commercial success now, so very few companies even chamber rifles in it anymore. i have had several 220 swifts and would like to add another one in the future, and i may have to resort to the custom rifle route in order to have one. i have even looked at gun shows and from time to time look at the gun stores and pawnshops to try and find one. they just don't seem to be very many out there anymore.
T/c encore has a 220 swift barrel

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
T/c encore has a 220 swift barrel

T/C makes a barrel in just about every caliber! it would be a shorter list of the ones they don't make, rather than the ones they do make. what i'm after is another ruger M77, one of the older ones in 220 swift.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
The end of your post provides part of the answer to popularity, in

general terms. What do guns stores, pawn shops and gun shows

support and carry?

Many manufacturers look to what's numerically popular in the market

before making an offering of their own; IMHO, the reason the venerable

30.06 has done so well for so long. Certain calibers go the way of the

Buffalo simply because they never manage to generate a popular base

with manufacturers, either.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

The death of the 6mm Remington was a combo of factors

These things and I am sure more all equal a dead cartridge.

Here is a scan from Steves Pages about the 244/ 6mm Rem. http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6remington.jpg

It didn't help that some rifles could shoot 244 and 6mm ammo and other rifles could only use 6mm ammo and what not. There was and still is a lot of confusion about the cartridge.

A 243 believe it or not can be a bit of a barrel burner. So the 244/6mm rem is going to do that even more because of the increased case size.

There was new life breathed into the 244 case by an article about a guy who built a 22-6mm rem wildcat. You get at MOST 1k rounds out of it before the throat is scorched and the barrel has to be replaced.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The end of your post provides part of the answer to popularity, in

general terms. What do guns stores, pawn shops and gun shows

support and carry?

Many manufacturers look to what's numerically popular in the market

before making an offering of their own; IMHO, the reason the venerable

30.06 has done so well for so long. Certain calibers go the way of the

Buffalo simply because they never manage to generate a popular base

with manufacturers, either.
i keep looking at gunbroker and gunsamerica to see what the availability is of the 220 swift, there are never very many for sale at any time. and the prices are outrageous. many of the winchester M70's are $1500 and up and some approaching $4000 plus! even the ruger M77's aren't cheap either. for $1500-2000, i could build a really nice rifle.