Who shoots after hours with night vision?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Who shoots after hours with night vision?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Who shoots after hours with night vision?

Been looking into nighttime hunting and NV gear, specially for bolt action rifles. My ideal gun to run it on would be a suppressed Desert Tech SRS-A1 Covert in .308, though I don't know if I'd have enough rail length for a scope and NV. Anyone have experience? Any military shooters who did night ops?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Savage FV-SR, Liberty Kodiak TL can, Aries 350 NV scope. Not state of the art by several magnitudes----but good out to about 50 yds and dead quiet with
sub-sonic ammo.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 804 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well for nighttime shots I had to ghetto rig my SDM weapon lol it involved acquiring a certain sensitive item from a sister unit that they wouldnt miss for a while lol and adapting that heavy piece of crap to what amounted to a moderately upgraded Vietnam era M14 so thats my experience. Now if I were constructing what I would love to use on the Rifle you named you are talkin boucoup dinero. So SRS-A1 $4500 with a surefire socom 762rc $1800 not including NFA, and an ATN Night Arrow 6X with WPT technology(Images are black and white not green which gives you better contrast and clarity) at $1900

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #4

Liked 2215 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 820

How about one of these with a 1,600 lumen light mounted in it. You can create daylight for around 100 yards. Not to mention predators tend to freeze when you put a bright light on them. You will be ready for night hunting for less than $75.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If your gonna use it on pigs though you don't wanna put a light on em. Even the "red or yellow" beams they are not supposed to be able to see. I have seen too many spook as soon as the beam hits them. I prefer NV.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What's the different advantages between thermal and NV? What is used in the military on precision rifles?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

depends on what type of unit your talking about. Super high speed low drag snipers from the Seal Teams and stuff probably use the ones that are either/or NV and thermal lol and then you get to a line infantry unit and yi=ou get situations like mine where NV wasnt an option unless you were creative lol. For the most part the night optics I saw mostly were all NV units only time i saw a handheld thermal unit in service was by the West Point Fire dept when 2 cadets got caught on a cliff face during the winter and the FD was standing there like "dem boys so cold only heat i see is from a cell phone battery!"

Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 AM   #8

Liked 2215 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
If your gonna use it on pigs though you don't wanna put a light on em. Even the "red or yellow" beams they are not supposed to be able to see. I have seen too many spook as soon as the beam hits them. I prefer NV.
After you shoot them a few times at night any animal will run as soon as the light hits them. That is conditioning the pigs, not their normal reaction.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #9

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts

check the paladin mk390
has worked pretty well the few dozen times I've used it, honestly prefer my 7 bravos and iron sites at night

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a gen. 1 Russian scope that works. Problems with it are it trackes bad and is hard to sight in, and you get past 100 yards you need a good IR lite. I also have a set of gen 3 goggles and use them with a lazer sight. No suppresser, but I watch the sheller shelling corn at nite and have yet to get a coyote at nite, but have taken some coon with this set up. I like this set up so I don`t have to point a gun at someone to tell if it is a person.

Catfish
Ohio