Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Who owns a Mosin Nagant Hex receiver? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/who-owns-mosin-nagant-hex-receiver-92683/)

PrestonPoole 06-22-2013 04:08 PM

Who owns a Mosin Nagant Hex receiver?

I ask this because I have a few questions that I need answered.
Questions: How long have you had them?
When first operating the bolt, does it fight back or does it glide?
What ammo is the best in your honest opinions?

therewolf 06-22-2013 04:33 PM

Wow that's a fair amount of territory.

A couple of years ago, I was lucky to find a 1925

Izzy in nice shape, with matching serials. Be

careful installing the bayonet, if it's too tight,

you'll play hob getting it off again.

Mine came with the textbook Cosmoline goo covering it.

Thread search "Mosin sticky bolt" for the cure.

IME, for accuracy, the cold shot is the best on

all my Mosins. But you want to fire a bunch of

shots initially, it's the fun thing to do, and if you

get a 440-round spam can, you'll also have a little

reserve.

As to serious brass- the previous milsurp ammo isn't reloadable.

I've found PRVI Partizan,Wolf, Winchester, and Norma,

which is all boxer primed, and lead tipped, and thereby acceptable for

hunting, and all perform well. I save shot rounds

in their original boxes to keep them organized for

reloading later. If you don't reload, save them for

somebody who does. This is a great way to make a couple

bucks on used shells, if you don't have a reloading

friend.

SSGN_Doc 06-22-2013 04:36 PM

I have a old Izshevsk that I've had for over a year. It is a prewar model from the 1930s. The bolt on it operates smoothly compared to my 1943 war time model with round receiver, but both have some resistance at first lift, due to the camming action of the beginning if extraction and resetting the striker.

Ammo preference will vary from rifle to rifle. I took a small sampling of loads when I first shot each of the Mosins. Winchester/Sellor Bellot (both loaded in Czech Republic), did well in both rifles. The Brown Bear 174 and 203 grain loads also did really well. Russian surplus ammo also did pretty well for surplus ammo but was nothing to write home about.

You would need to try a few loads to find out what works best in any given rifle though, due to variations in bore diameter and corrosion damage from rifle to rifle. I once had a Finn m39 on a Hex receiver. It was much smoother and less picky about ammo and very accurate.

SSGN_Doc 06-24-2013 02:38 AM

I was wrong, it is actually a 1925 Izshevsk. Here's how it shot with two different loads at 100 yds from a bench out of the box and cleaned up with no adjustments or accurizing from me. 1.59 inches with the Brown Bear ammo. Adjusted the front sight to the right a hair, and it was pretty much right on.

http://i43.tinypic.com/v6q8us.jpg

therewolf 06-24-2013 09:32 PM

That better shooting than I do with mine, Doc

I'm still working on " minute of dinner-plate".

marc29th 06-24-2013 10:18 PM

I've also got a 1925 Izhevsk Hex, had it only a couple months only shot mil-surplus ammo through it so far but have shot new Russian Brown Bear through other Mosin-Nagants with good results. It is a toss up between the 1925 Hex and my Finnish M27 as to the smoothest bolt of all of my collection of Moson-Nagant's.

Ultimate_sig 06-24-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrestonPoole (Post 1283429)
I ask this because I have a few questions that I need answered.
Questions: How long have you had them?
When first operating the bolt, does it fight back or does it glide?
What ammo is the best in your honest opinions?

Have you checked your head space? That should be one of the first things to look at the next would be during pin protrusion.

sharkcoasttactical 06-25-2013 12:48 PM

I think mine is 1935 Izzy? The sticky bolt cure buy Iraqiveteran on youtube works wonders. I never use anything besides that stuff you get in the big spam can. Part of the fun in owning one is that spam can!

therewolf 06-26-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkcoasttactical (Post 1286249)
I never use anything besides that stuff you get in the big spam can. Part of the fun in owning one is that spam can!

You can use empty spam cans. They are great GP containers.

bamashooter68 06-26-2013 06:06 AM

I have a 1929 Izhevsk 91/30 and two carbines a Hungarian M-44 and a 91/59. I got lucky a few years back and found 2-300rd tins of brass cased Bulgarian heavy ball ammo that all my mosins like. I had some S&B 174gr made with sierra bullets that was very accurate and I actually killed a deer at 200+ yards with one of those bullets. Its been awhile since Ive seen any of that around. I have several brands of ammo and love my rifles. Everyone likes shooting the mosin's.