Who makes a good, reliable. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Who makes a good, reliable.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Savage................

When all else fails.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

really depends on your budget. there are probably hundreds of scopes that fit that criteria, from one end of the price spectrum to the other.
Yeah I see. Well like I said my budget is about 800 but I honestly don't want to spend that much. I like the savage axis in 308 but I would like one with the accutrigger. My budget on a scope is about 250-300. So with that being said. What do you personally think? Could I get a nice leupold? Or even a redfield? I definitely don't want some cheap ass bushnell lol. I want something that I can put a range on.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Leupold, nice optics in looks and functionality. I also have a Nikon Monarch and that is worth looking at. Really clean glass, solid build,holds zero nicely and even though its personal preference I prefere it to the Leupold

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I would suggest the HOWA 1500 series of rifles. I have a couple of them and I love the way they shoot.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinet6 View Post
Yeah I see. Well like I said my budget is about 800 but I honestly don't want to spend that much. I like the savage axis in 308 but I would like one with the accutrigger. My budget on a scope is about 250-300. So with that being said. What do you personally think? Could I get a nice leupold? Or even a redfield? I definitely don't want some cheap ass bushnell lol. I want something that I can put a range on.
try out MidwayUSA. i have bought from them many times in the past and are my #1 first choice when buying anything gun related. here's a link to their optics page for centefire rifles. they post reviews of the products they sell. you can narrow the search down by manufacteror, price or size of the scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimension id=11495

Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like Axxe, I like Marlin X rifles. Bought my third one a couple of weeks ago when I came across a 7mm08 for $300 in a LGS. Axis would probably be lower priced, but then you'll want to do something to improve the Axis trigger since it basically SUCKS. Extra cost of the Marlin is worth it for the adjustable trigger in it. But then, maybe spending another $100 for a Rifle Basix trigger for the Axis suits you.

Out of curiosity, just what will you be doing with the rifle most of the time....., for example, .deer hunting or shooting paper/targets? Helps also to know what distances you'll typically be shooting. These are basic questions for determining what scope you will need.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Spend 300 on the rifle and the 800 on the optics. It's getting kinda hard to buy a bad rifle but you'll never know how good it is unless you have good glass.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffmanite
Like Axxe, I like Marlin X rifles. Bought my third one a couple of weeks ago when I came across a 7mm08 for $300 in a LGS. Axis would probably be lower priced, but then you'll want to do something to improve the Axis trigger since it basically SUCKS. Extra cost of the Marlin is worth it for the adjustable trigger in it. But then, maybe spending another $100 for a Rifle Basix trigger for the Axis suits you.

Out of curiosity, just what will you be doing with the rifle most of the time....., for example, .deer hunting or shooting paper/targets? Helps also to know what distances you'll typically be shooting. These are basic questions for determining what scope you will need.
Yeah I think I'm going to go with the Ruger American either in the standard or the compact. I was looking at the axis and I know the trigger job is crap. I'd rather spend 100 more for the American with their trigger job. It's kinda like the accutrigger. I will be using the rifle for all purposes. Hunting as well as target shooting. So I will need a scope for long distances (500m plus) something where I can compensate as well as DOPE it and make quick adjustments if I need.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also, what is the average height for scope mounts? In relation to the bottom of the scope to the top of the stock.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinet6

I will be using the rifle for all purposes. Hunting as well as target shooting. So I will need a scope for long distances (500m plus) something where I can compensate as well as DOPE it and make quick adjustments if I need.
Finding a scope to accept 500m of dope from a 308 consistently for under 1000 dollars is pretty darn hard. The leupold VX tacticals do pretty good but the insides rattle apart after a while, usually around two years of long range (I'd say about 1200 rounds) most of my friends run these because the can't or don't want to drop the money on a Nightforce. For the price range you are looking at I would strongly suggest getting a Nikon buck master with the BDC reticle. Two of my hunting buddies have used these for 10 years with great success. I myself ran a buck master with a mil dot until I upgraded to a Meopta. The only drawback to these scopes is that the reticles are only correct at a particular magnification so if you plan on shooting in low light, where you have to turn the power down hold, over estimation becomes dicey at best. I think the glass in the Nikon is the best bang you can get for your buck (no pun intended) it is almost indistinguishable from the Leupold and usually around 100 dollars cheaper. Honestly though, now that I am looking through European glass I can't go back unless its to a Nightforce.