Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   who makes it (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/who-makes-15877/)

Hot Sauce NARC 07-18-2009 08:13 PM

who makes it

Ive been lookin around alot lately trying to spend some money, and its been hard to find what i want. I want to know who makes a heavy barreled .223 bolt action with a 1in7 or 1in8 twist. Im also trying to get a hold of a heavy barrell ar-15 in 223 from rra and i know those come in 1in8 but bolt actions in those twists are hard to come by. I want to shoot the heavier bullets, up to 80gr and if its going to take me a year to get an ar i want a bolt action to pass the time so if anyone knows of a good rifle in the 1000-1500 dollar range with a heavy barrell in 1in7 or 1in8 let me know

Dillinger 07-18-2009 08:40 PM

You are going to have a tough time finding a bolt gun in that caliber & twist rate brother.

One of the reasons is that a bolt action barrel is longer than an AR barrel. So to stabilize a bullet in a shorter barrel, you spin the bullet faster, or in a shorter duration of inches in this case.

A bolt action rifle is going to have a 26" barrel, or perhaps a 24" but those are more rare. If you spin the bullet in the same spin rate, you get a bullet that is over spun in the barrel, which makes accuracy more difficult.

This is why you are seeing bolt guns with 1 in 12 barrels, the bullet is still spinning about 2 revolutions in the barrel length.

This doesn't mean you can't shoot the heavier bullets, it just means that you need to tailor your boltgun purchase to the same type of round that you want to shoot in your AR so you can stock one round in your safe.

If you are serious - e-mail this guy:

nwarmswerkes@comcast.net

Brett Evans - He is my Master Gunsmith and he knows more about conventional firearms than anyone I have ever met. He will build you exactly what you are looking for, to your specs, if you are willing to wait the time it will take.

JD

Hot Sauce NARC 07-18-2009 08:57 PM

JD, so what your are saying is that since you can get a bolt action with a 24-26 inch barrel, you can get the same kind of accuracy as a shorter barrel in a faster spin? if thats the case im super excited because ive found some rifles i really like with 1in12 twists

thanks

Dillinger 07-18-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 130604)
JD, so what your are saying is that since you can get a bolt action with a 24-26 inch barrel, you can get the same kind of accuracy as a shorter barrel in a faster spin? if thats the case im super excited because ive found some rifles i really like with 1in12 twists

thanks

Well, yes and no. The shorter barrel, with the quicker twist, you are stabilizing the bullet. With the longer barrel, you are getting the bullet stabilized in a "longer" period of time, but you are achieving the same "stabilization" more or less.

The bolt gun accuracy is always going to be better than a semi auto accuracy, assuming that both are made with similar components. Obviously, if you have a top notch AR and a boltgun built by Jim's Auto Wrecking and Gunsmithing, well, maybe not so much....

I think you will find a factory action with a 1:12 barrel will shoot just as well, probably better, than your RRA with the shorter barrel...

JD

ccd8541 07-18-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 130582)
Ive been lookin around alot lately trying to spend some money, and its been hard to find what i want. I want to know who makes a heavy barreled .223 bolt action with a 1in7 or 1in8 twist....I want to shoot the heavier bullets, up to 80gr... in the 1000-1500 dollar range with a heavy barrell in 1in7 or 1in8 let me know

Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Hot Sauce NARC 07-19-2009 04:52 AM

ive been looking at savage for a while and they make this Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint Model 12BVSS

i think i will go with the 1 in 9 twist. there is a shop around me that has a few in stock hopefully they will have a 1in9

thanks guys

Txhillbilly 07-19-2009 07:50 PM

The Savage model 10 or 12 in 223 is a great gun. My question is why you want to shoot 80gr bullets? They are hard to find and cost way more than anything you will find in a 75gr .224 bullet. But to each their own. I have had really good results with Hornady 75gr A-Max bullets.

Hot Sauce NARC 07-19-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 130975)
The Savage model 10 or 12 in 223 is a great gun. My question is why you want to shoot 80gr bullets? They are hard to find and cost way more than anything you will find in a 75gr .224 bullet. But to each their own. I have had really good results with Hornady 75gr A-Max bullets.

sorry i should have specified better, i dont want to shoot 80's what i meant was i want to shoot bullets up to about 80gr I want to shoot 75 or 77's and maybe 69gr's just depending on what the gun likes. Ive also heard of guys shooting moa all the way out to 500 yards with 77gr A-MAX.

TX what set up are you using, and what kind of accuracy are you getting.

thanks.

Chris@fidelisarms 07-21-2009 07:13 PM

Anything above 75 grain you will most likely need 1in7 twist. 69 you might be able to get away with 1in9. You are going to need a throated barrel to make this happen.

The slower twist will most likely not stabilize that longer bullet. Think of it this way. A 1in12 twist is generall used for 40 grain rounds.

I would suggest a 1in7 for anything above 65 grain for maximum stability and accuracy.

Just my opinion and the opinion of my prototype guy. Make of it what you will.