Where should I start? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where should I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSe63xy View Post
It's not that I don't want your help, it's that I didn't want somebody to come in and say, "Get a Winchester Model 700" because I don't know what that is. I'm sorry if I made it sound like I didn't want your help. I really do. I just want somebody to show me what to look for in a gun rather than telling me exactly what I should get, without explaining why.
Good, you are on the right path. The members here won't just tell you what to get. They will steer you in the right direction, and they will qualify the question, if it is in earnest. In other words, ask and ye shall get answers.

You can then use that info and do whatever research you need to convince yourself of what is best for you.

Check out several manufacturers as good rifles are abundant, and very dependant on your budget.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 AM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Thanks for editing your original post to give us more info. It makes us all more willing to assist.

What specific questions do you have?

Most of us will advise you to stay with commonly available calibers that you can find at most stores that sell ammo.

If you have limited experience, you may find yourself a bit recoil sensitive so look into something like a nice .223. Cheap to shoot, accurate and easy on the shoulder/cheek.

Keep reading, and keep asking. You will get plenty of help.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-31-2010, 06:24 AM   #23

I really don't know enough at this point to ask many specific questions, but I'm reading up on the subject so I can ask more specific questions. Here's one though; what are the most common calibers?

Also I'm not planning on buying a gun any time soon. I have to pay back part of my student loan first, and I would like to make a down payment on a house. But I would like to know what I want, so I'll have something to shoot for. (No pun intended. ) That being said, it'll be around 9 months before I'll be ready to make a purchase. In that time I'll probably shoot my dad's .22 quite a bit to gain some expierience, but when I am ready to buy a gun myself, I don't want a small one. We have plenty of .22's around here to practice with, and I'm looking for something different. If a bigger gun is too much for me to handle, I could always go back and shoot my dad's .22's some more, but I would like a bigger one so I only have to buy one.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

.223, .243, .25-06, .270, .300WM, .30-06, .30-30, .308, and 7mm are all pretty popular calibers.

the .223 is a good calibre, its what the military uses in their M16 and M4 weapon systems.

if you want bigger, and popular, check out just about anything in a .30 calibre. they have plenty of energy to knock down a deer at 300 yds, so shooting cans and paper will be no problem.

NOW, if you want BIG, take skullcrusher's advice and get you a .50 BMG. that is the biggest and baddest shoulder fired rifle out there. the projectile is about the size or a mans thumb. This weapon has no problem reaching and killing at distances up to 1 mile...but to make a shot at that range takes a whole lot of skill.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #25

Haha I don't want to go THAT big. But I'll check those out. When looking for the right caliber, what should I be looking for? They all seem pretty much the same to me.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

look at ballistics. Ballistics Table
look at how much they rise before the point of impact (the ZERO), and then the drop after impact.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I want to buy a rifle but I have no idea what I want or where to start. The only thing I know for sure is I want a bolt action. The purpose of the gun is just for target shooting. I don't want suggestions of certain guns that you, yourself, like. I would just like a link to a website where I can do my own research. Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will recieve.

Edit: I'm sorry if my post above came off rude or arrogant. That wasn't my intention at all. I would like to clarify a few things. I DO want/need your help and I know you have a lot of knowledge to share. That is the reason I joined the site after all. It has also been pointed out that I should give you a little background information. First off, I'm 20 years old, but I really didn't want to tell everyone because I wasn't sure if you guys would treat me differently. I'm pretty new to shooting, seeing as how I've probably only gone 5-6 times in my life. I would like to change that though because I really enjoyed those times I did go. Another reason I want to learn more about the sport is because my grandpa really likes to shoot and I figure that this could be a great way to spend some time together before he's gone. Again, I'm really sorry if I got off on the wrong foot. I hope I can make up for it by becoming a contributing member of this site.
I like to do my own research too. Here are a couple good places to start. These are distributors. You can't buy from them but you can look. Once you narrow you search, you can start looking at retailers.

GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

RSR Group | Online Catalog

Last edited by sigp250; 05-31-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #28

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Haha I don't want to go THAT big. But I'll check those out. When looking for the right caliber, what should I be looking for? They all seem pretty much the same to me.
If you are just looking for a target rifle, caliber is completely up to you. Some things to consider, however, are cost and range restrictions. A .50 BMG would sure be fun but most ranges cannot handle it and the ammo costs about $5 per round. Other end of the spectrum is .22lr, ammo is about $25 per 1,000 rounds and any range will permit its use. Popular rifles in .22lr like the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 can be a lot of fun, can be customized to suit your particular needs and can also be made extremely accurate for a minimal investment. .17HMR is also a popular "plinking" round but again it can be a bit pricy for shooting cans and paper.

So the short answer is, the "right" caliber for you is the one that suits your needs, your budget and gives you access to the most places for shooting. Whether you intend to shoot competitively or casually is also something to consider. Also, if you are open to semi-auto .223/5.56 is a very popular caliber used in the AR platform.

I would recommend getting a copy of Guns and Ammo or some other shooting enthusiast magazine and doing some reading. Think their website has past articles as well. Here's a few...have fun.

THE online destination for firearm enthusiasts!

Rifle Shooting Tips

Rifle Ammunition for Target Shooting: Practice Tips for the Gun Range: How to Target Shoot with Rifles & Pistols | eHow.com

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 05-31-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #29

I don't have to worry about range restrictions around here. We just go out to the strip pits and shoot. There are large dirt embankments that we can shoot into and will handle pretty much anything. So it pretty much just comes down to price. Right now I'm leaning towards a .223 caliber.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #30

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
I don't have to worry about range restrictions around here. We just go out to the strip pits and shoot. There are large dirt embankments that we can shoot into and will handle pretty much anything. So it pretty much just comes down to price. Right now I'm leaning towards a .223 caliber.
Good choice. There are a lot of nice bolt action .223's.

Now you need to start comparing rates of (rifling) twist in the barrels.

The longer twists (1/12) shoot the lighter bullets better. The tighter twists (1/7, 1/8, 1/9) are more forgiving and shoot the heavier bullets better.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."