Where should I start? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where should I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
If you really want to man up, .50 BMG..
a .50 BMG for a maximum of 300yds?

man skull, you must REALLY like your targets destroyed dont you? hahahaa

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
a .50 BMG for a maximum of 300yds?

man skull, you must REALLY like your targets destroyed dont you? hahahaa
Same for the .300 Win Mag.

It was all tongue-in-cheek. If the person wants to do all the research without getting some practical advice from actual shooters, then why the heck not?

My point is that there is so much knowledge here just for the taking for anyone who is serious about learning something. When a new person comes in and just wants links to arbritrary sites and is not willing to learn, then eff it. *shrug*

Duder is already willing to pay a dollar a round for something he has no idea of what he wants. Think about it...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i know what you mean. i want a 300 WM for my general hunting rifle. its a very fun gun.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 AM   #14

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:

It was all tongue-in-cheek. If the person wants to do all the research without getting some practical advice from actual shooters, then why the heck not?

My point is that there is so much knowledge here just for the taking for anyone who is serious about learning something. When a new person comes in and just wants links to arbritrary sites and is not willing to learn, then eff it. *shrug*

Duder is already willing to pay a dollar a round for something he has no idea of what he wants. Think about it...
Sarcasm, here?
O.K., My suggestion. Get a good .22lr bolt gun. It is cheap to shoot, great practice.
As far as a centerfire, take a look at the CZ527 Varminter. .204 or .223 will fit the bill. The .223 Chamber is CIP certified so shooting 5.56x45 surplus ammo will not void the guarantee. Trigger is two stage or single set. All the varminter barrels are 1:9 twist, so it will handle heavier bullets. The website is still wrong as far as the barrel twist.
You need a good scope, not a $120.00 cheapo. A scope that will make the CZ excel is almost as much as the Rifle. A Harris bi-pod is also a necessity.
You are looking at about a thousand for a good rig. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-31-2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: pic

Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Sarcasm, here?
O.K., My suggestion. Get a good .22lr bolt gun. It is cheap to shoot, great practice.
As far as a centerfire, take a look at the CZ527 Varminter. .204 or .223 will fit the bill. The .223 Chamber is CIP certified so shooting 5.56x45 surplus ammo will not void the guarantee. Trigger is two stage or single set. All the varminter barrels are 1:9 twist, so it will handle heavier bullets. The website is still wrong as far as the barrel twist.
You need a good scope, not a $120.00 cheapo. A scope that will make the CZ excel is almost as much as the Rifle. A Harris bi-pod is also a necessity.
You are looking at about a thousand for a good rig. JP

Damn sweet looking set-up jpatterson! Great advice there, but you forgot a link so the op can research for himself. Keep in mind that advice is not wanted.

Is that legal in Kansas?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 AM   #16

Quote:

It's not that I don't want your help, it's that I didn't want somebody to come in and say, "Get a Winchester Model 700" because I don't know what that is. I'm sorry if I made it sound like I didn't want your help. I really do. I just want somebody to show me what to look for in a gun rather than telling me exactly what I should get, without explaining why.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #17

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Damn sweet looking set-up jpatterson! Great advice there, but you forgot a link so the op can research for himself. Keep in mind that advice is not wanted.

Is that legal in Kansas?

Yer not in Kansas anymore! I think he can find the CZ website. If not he should stay away from firearms.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Is that legal in Kansas?
well the way the Obama admin wants things, any scoped rifle is "a Sniper Rifle", thus making it illegal...but i wont say anything if you dont

Old 05-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Get a good .22lr bolt gun. It is cheap to shoot, great practice.
Amen. Decent rifles are available anywhere. Ruger, Savage, Marlin, etc make great inexpensive rifles that shoot well enough to hone your skills. For a few hundred dollars you can learn shooting skills that will last you your lifetime.

Many of us continue to shoot the .22lr round for practicing skills. Keep your ego in check, you don't need a big money gun or high powered round to learn marksmanship.

Best wishes in your pursuit of the hobby, just know, once your are bit, it gets crazy.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 AM   #20

hard to beat a 22 long rifle but 150 yards is a moor then pushing its limits need to move to a center fire rifle and choice are end less. Try going to a rifle range and ask the people there what there shooting. tell them your just learning and are looking to buy a rifle, most shooters love to talk about there guns. and if they are like me they might offer for you to shoot it. Remember to thank them and offer the a couple dollars a round for th ammo you shot, good luck