Where should I start?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where should I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where should I start?

I want to buy a rifle but I have no idea what I want or where to start. The only thing I know for sure is I want a bolt action. The purpose of the gun is just for target shooting. I don't want suggestions of certain guns that you, yourself, like. I would just like a link to a website where I can do my own research. Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will recieve.

Edit: I'm sorry if my post above came off rude or arrogant. That wasn't my intention at all. I would like to clarify a few things. I DO want/need your help and I know you have a lot of knowledge to share. That is the reason I joined the site after all. It has also been pointed out that I should give you a little background information. First off, I'm 20 years old, but I really didn't want to tell everyone because I wasn't sure if you guys would treat me differently. I'm pretty new to shooting, seeing as how I've probably only gone 5-6 times in my life. I would like to change that though because I really enjoyed those times I did go. Another reason I want to learn more about the sport is because my grandpa really likes to shoot and I figure that this could be a great way to spend some time together before he's gone. Again, I'm really sorry if I got off on the wrong foot. I hope I can make up for it by becoming a contributing member of this site.

Last edited by BigSe63xy; 05-31-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

If you do not want advice or suggestions I would suggest Google. You can find all kinds of links there...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Start by going to the Introductions Thread and, well; introduce yourself to the membership.

Now to your question....

Do you want to shoot recreationally? Is this your first rifle? Do you want to shoot 100 yards and greater? Would you be happy target shooting at 50yards?

Well, OK..here is a link to bolt guns Rifles: Bolt Action and Tactical at Impact Guns Home

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

I've tried google but the problem I'm having is that I don't know what to search for. If I could get just a little nudge in the right direction, I could take it from there.

Yes I want to shoot recreationally. It won't be the first rifle I've owned, my dad got me one for christmas when I was around 13, but this will be the first one I will be purchasing myself. I would like to shoot around 100 yards, maybe a little farther. Thanks for that link. I'll take a look right now.

Last edited by BigSe63xy; 05-30-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, then, maybe you should get some opinions from our experienced shooters to begin with. Tell us what you plan to do with the rifle and possibly we can give you some direction.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you should start with the distances you would like to reach accurately, and then research calibers, and prices of ammo.

I dont have a rifle other that an auto .22lr, and if i wanted a target rifle for say 100yds or less, i might look at maybe a .223
maybe a .270 for a little more. if i wanted to go 300yds, i might go with something in a 30 calibre.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What do you want to shoot? What is the ultimate end goal for this purchase?

Do you want to shoot cans and playing cards with your friends at 75 to 150 yards?

Or do you want to be able to compete with it in shooting contests?

Or do you want a rifle you can practice with and maybe hunt with later on?

Do you want cheap ammo? Like with a .22lr? Or do you want real centerfire ammo knowing that you might reload one day?

Help us help you a little here.

JD

Old 05-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #8

I just want to shoot at pop cans, paper targets, etc. I see myself shooting mostly at targets 100-150 yards but I would occasionally want to shoot targets at a little longer range than that, say 200-300 yards. I would pay around $20 for a box of 20 rounds, but they don't have to be high quality. Also my grandpa reloads so I could ask him to help me out.

P.S. Do you have to have a license or permit to fire a gun in Kansas?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Go big and go strong, that's what I always say. (well, not really, but hey since you are doing all of the research yourself and you don't want any real life advice from real shooters)

You HAVE to go with a .300 Win Mag. It will do what you want and then some. There are also some air rifles that will do what you want to do and they are cheaper. If you really want to man up, .50 BMG.

Now, if you really want some practical advice, stick around and there are plenty of helpful and very knowledgeable people here with more experience than you can imagine. If not, Google is your friend.

As far as gun laws in Kansas, why not call your local Sheriff. Other than that, Google "gun laws in Kansas".

I forgot to add the rolleyes thingy....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ok. great start.

now start looking at ballistics on calibers .223, .243, .25-06, .270 and maybe something in .30

if you want to go bigger thats up to you. the calibers i listed are what i believe to be the most popular calibers. after you decide on a calibre that will reach the maximum distance with enough energy, only thing thats left is to find a gun in that calibre

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.