where to shop - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > where to shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well i think i will look for an old beat up 700 to start with and if in that process i come across a pre 64 that i can afford ill snatch it up and go from there, but for now it looks like it will be easier for me to get ahold of a 700 action for around 300, and then get a aftermarket heavy barrell from someone like kreiger (yes i know about the backlog) and then pay for someone who knows what there doing to blueprint and glass bed it, and i figure i can do the rest from there.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^ Nothing wrong with that plan. If you are going with a Magnum action though, and you are paying for the blue print, have them drill your screw holes out to #8's at the same time. A little beefier and more stable on that big magnum for your expensive glass.

Good luck...

JD

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
well i think i will look for an old beat up 700 to start with and if in that process i come across a pre 64 that i can afford ill snatch it up and go from there, but for now it looks like it will be easier for me to get ahold of a 700 action for around 300, and then get a aftermarket heavy barrell from someone like kreiger (yes i know about the backlog) and then pay for someone who knows what there doing to blueprint and glass bed it, and i figure i can do the rest from there.
Dude as the FTF Remington 700 FANBOY leader. I am going to say dump that thought. Get your self a Savage Action from a buddy of mine on another board. Jewell Triggers by GREAT SCOTT Shooters Products

The savage action is just as popular and cost less plus with a barrel nut wrench and a set of go no-go gauges you can have a switch barrel at a fraction of the cost. You can get it in the .473" bolt face and that opens the doors wide open to any cartridge in the world with a .473" head diameter. (308, 30-06). I can get all the same stocks for either action and you can get the savage action with a right or left port I believe. Having the port is much better as it makes the action much more stiff that having the entire top of the action milled away.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #14

Strongly suggest staying away from the gun shows right now...cant even get a Ruger 10-22 for a fair price in them. The "governments gonna get you" mentality is still on a rampage so they gun show dealers are raping and pillaging on their pricing.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

went to a near by gun shop today just to poke around, he had a new Remington 700 (sps tactical i think its called) its a 700 rem in .308 with 20 inch heavy barrel 3 # trigger and hogue over molded stock he wanted about 680 for it and it seemed like a fair price. Im curious to know how accurate that gun should be, because if it can be easily accurized i might just go with it to start. Are these guns free floating and glass bedded? do they need to be? What do you think?