Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where are the rough Mausers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Where are the rough Mausers?

Decades ago my browsing in gun shops turned up very few really nice early Mausers--models 91 through 96--and lots of beater type 91s and 93s.

Now, I don't see many in any condition and none of the beaters.

Where are all the beaters? I know Interarms and others were flooding the market with the the hard-used ones in the 1970s, so I'm guessing those are all in somebody's closet or something.

Are any of you seeing many low-grade small-ring pre-98s?

Jim

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

jd,

I would like to have a good 98 Mauser in good condition "Correct" if someone can advise the best place to get one. I get sick every time I think of the ones years ago I cut and customized making hunting rifles our of them while I was a teen working in a local gun shop after school. It is a shame!
Self Confession!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #3

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Low grade is not what I have seen. A few Chang Ki Shiek have crossed my path that needed a rebuild, but not to many others. What are you looking for??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More nostalgic than looking for--it's a disease of advancing age. I just like to think that If I wanted to make up a shooter I might still be able to find a good action with a shot-out barrel to build from.

Nothing urgent. I have a '91 that I have been plotting over for years.