Where to get a good deal on an M1a - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Where to get a good deal on an M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1417 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

The Nations gun show is in Leesburg, VA this weekend I think. They usually have quite a few M1A's at tables. I don't know if they are really good prices but probably the best selection in the area if you want to pick it up and hold it before you buy.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Krieger is the way I am going to go for the barrel and the fitting of it. They've done work for me before and it was outstanding. Still debating on the heavy and medium pattern barrel. I know with the heavy pattern it will need a different op rod, but no biggie. Also the heavy pattern barrel may reduce some of the harmonic issues these rifles tend to have. JMO

Krieger will make a 243, 7mm-08, or 260 barrel for it. It would just be the wait thing, which I would have no problem with. With that being said, I'm still not decided on weather to change caliber or leave it a .308.

I ended up a few years ago going with a McCanns mount and it too works well for out of spec. recievers. My reason at the time I bought it was that it set real low on the reciever compaired to some others I looked at. The Bassett looks good for this as well.

M14sRock has a good point about buying an older one with more USGI parts in it.

Also, so far as forged or investment cast recievers go, I really see no difference in performance or durability. Sometimes I think the "you've got to have a forged reciever" theory is mostly hype. Again, JMO with the limited experience I have here.
I'd stay with Med wt. That will allow it fit every stock. The HB uses a dif oprod guide, but the oprod is the same.

The McCann mt is good, but the Bassett Picatinny Low is $150, and has a return to zero that is dead nuts on. And no special wrench to install.

As to the cast, vs forged...It does not matter. A cast receiver will last 300,000rds. Forged is nice when you get it (LRB, 7.62mmFirearms and some Smith Ent) but you will never wear out a cast receiver.

Up until about a year ago SAI was using Wilson barrels, so a Loaded from a couple years back is a great choice. Not sure whose barrels they are using now. But they will print small groups.

I've seen used Loadeds for around $1400. Keep an eye on the throat erosion (TE) and muzzle wear (MW). The lower the number, the better.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."