Where to get a good deal on an M1a
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where to get a good deal on an M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Where to get a good deal on an M1a

I don't want one of them super tactical 9,000 rails with folding stock or all that crap. I would want a basic standard or national match.

Oh who am I kidding I would want the NM version wood stocked.

Where would one look to get a good deal on one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Not all M14/M1A's are created equal. If buying a Springfield (SAI), buying one made during or before 2003 will get you a high USGI parts count. Commercial parts are fine, but USGI are better. However, the SAI Lifetime Warranty is the best in the biz.

A new M1A standard can be found for around $1500, but I'd pay more for a used one made earlier.

Order an LRB and you will have about 8 months to save up the extra $$. Well worth it.

Or, order one from 7.62mmFirearms. They are new on the scene but making some great stuff.

This could be a very long post, but I'll stop here.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a Springer standard?

If I ever got a chance to buy one I would have to have the scope of all scopes on that bad boy. I am thinking nightforce....

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would hope that TXNorton and Troy both speak up.....they both have M1As.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Kyles' Gun Shop had new M1A Loaded Walnut MA9222 for $1400 + $15 shipping. Call/email and ask if they still have one.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What kind of accuracy can you expect out of a Springer standard?

If I ever got a chance to buy one I would have to have the scope of all scopes on that bad boy. I am thinking nightforce....
When mine was new and the barrel was good I was able to lay down 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. That was in the mid 1990's. Now that is has just over 32,000 rounds down the pipe, and some abuse, 1-1/4" groups at 100 on a good day is the norm for me. Mine here is the SAI Loaded version with a bit faster twist barrel and upgraded sights which I believe were the NM. I've changed the aperature to a smaller diameter one to help with the vision thing.

Going with the standatd like walnut stock is the way to go IMO. M1A's just seem right wrapped in wood. Plus, the weight is your friend with this side op rod semi auto IMO.

I had this one scoped a few years ago but went back to irons as I liked it better that way. However, I'll probably go back to glass sometime in the future as my eyes are not as good as they used to be and are getting worse with age.

When I had a scope on it I was using a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40 scope and it worked OK. When I scope it out again I'll probably use something in the same power range with a mill dot reticle as I've become used to using hold off and hold over instead of cranking elevation and windage knobs for every shot taken.

A tad better quality in optics and mount is a good idea for this rifle as it really pounds the hell out them. Keeping the scope and mount as light as possible and as low as you can go also helps with this.

Well this is all that I can think of for now given my limited experience on these matters.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-09-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

The M1a has become the new gun I have to have. Now that I have an AR I need another semi in a larger caliber. Wish I could get an M1a built in 260 or 7mm 08.....

Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The M1a has become the new gun I have to have. Now that I have an AR I need another semi in a larger caliber. Wish I could get an M1a built in 260 or 7mm 08.....
I've heard that Springfield for a short time, years ago, offered their M1A in 243 Win. I need to rebarrel the one I have now and have contemplated going to to 260 cal for it. I would be curious if someone here like M14sRock would know if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

SAI made M1A's in .243 and 7mm-08. They were primarily for export to countries where 7.62x51/.308 is prohibited. But I've seen them here in the States.

Krieger may still offer barrels in other calibers. Check with Krieger. They also mount, headspace and set up M14's.

I'd LOVE a .260Rem M14. Pressure curve is a concern that can be addressed with an adjustable Schuster Gas Plug.

As far as the best "bang for the buck", I don't think you can get more rifle for the money than a "Loaded Model". NM barrels and sights (non-hooded), and tuned triggers (though not as good as can be done) are included on the Loadeds.

For a mount on an SAI, get the Bassett Machine. They are impervious to the common out of spec receivers from SAI. Great mount, and cheap to boot.

Get it in the walnut stock and then bed the stock and you will be amazed at the accuracy. My Loaded would shoot just about 1/2 MOA with irons, 5 shot groups. I sold it because of the WAY out of spec receiver, but should have just slapped a Bassett on it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #10

Krieger is the way I am going to go for the barrel and the fitting of it. They've done work for me before and it was outstanding. Still debating on the heavy and medium pattern barrel. I know with the heavy pattern it will need a different op rod, but no biggie. Also the heavy pattern barrel may reduce some of the harmonic issues these rifles tend to have. JMO

Krieger will make a 243, 7mm-08, or 260 barrel for it. It would just be the wait thing, which I would have no problem with. With that being said, I'm still not decided on weather to change caliber or leave it a .308.

I ended up a few years ago going with a McCanns mount and it too works well for out of spec. recievers. My reason at the time I bought it was that it set real low on the reciever compaired to some others I looked at. The Bassett looks good for this as well.

M14sRock has a good point about buying an older one with more USGI parts in it.

Also, so far as forged or investment cast recievers go, I really see no difference in performance or durability. Sometimes I think the "you've got to have a forged reciever" theory is mostly hype. Again, JMO with the limited experience I have here.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.