where can I shoot my 22 rifle PLEASE
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

where can I shoot my 22 rifle PLEASE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default where can I shoot my 22 rifle PLEASE

I've been searching and searching the net with no results. I even called a few places the net listed and they're shut down or don't even offer shooting. I do not want to pay for a membership either. I just want to legally plink with my 22 rifle.

I live in Carbondale, Illinois (it's in southern Illinois) zip code: 62901

I'm real frustrated. Please help me out and thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadisonShootrMcGavin View Post
I've been searching and searching the net with no results. I even called a few places the net listed and they're shut down or don't even offer shooting. I do not want to pay for a membership either. I just want to legally plink with my 22 rifle.

I live in Carbondale, Illinois (it's in southern Illinois) zip code: 62901

I'm real frustrated. Please help me out and thanks in advance.
A google search shows seven ranges in your area. If you can't shoot at any of them, someone there can tell you where you can shoot.

Carl Sagan
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Download the free app sponsored by National Shooting Sports Foundation, "where to shoot"
Also, there is plenty of farmland and old strip mines where you live. Make friends with guys in neighboring towns.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10953 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Well, if you were here in VA, I would take you out and introduce you to some farmers- but that won't work.

Start with a Google search for gun shop Carbondale IL. I got about 10 hits when you include Murphysboro. Stop by, ask nicely. Also check with the IL state Rifle Association http://www.isra.org/ and check with the state Game Commission.

A quick check of Google Earth for Carbondale shows a lot of farmland to the SE of town. Visit, knock on doors, ask nicely.

Some of our folks from IL may have some suggestions.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 227 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Ask the guys at the city dump if it's OK to shoot rats.
People Like This 
Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 456 Posts

Take it to the country. Find a nice river or creek. Ranges are nice and relaxing but if you want to plink a few rounds a creek is nice. I've been lucky where I've lived. It's rural. Take care and respect your surrounding.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
Take it to the country. Find a nice river or creek. Ranges are nice and relaxing but if you want to plink a few rounds a creek is nice. I've been lucky where I've lived. It's rural. Take care and respect your surrounding.

The problem with this suggestion is that it could cause you lots of problems. The banks of creeks are owned by someone. If I caught someone shooting and trespassing on my place there would be a deputy sheriff and an arrest involved.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10953 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Have to agree with Chainfire. Unless you are on public land, all that belongs to somebody. Unless you ask, and they say yes, you are trespassing.

FWIW, I have about 1700 acres of farmland where I shoot groundhogs- and no one else has permission to hunt there. I spent time walking up to farmhouses, knocking on doors, introducing myself, and ASKING for permission to shoot there.

Please note if you have an allergy to having doors slammed in your face, don't try that. Too many folks have suffered the effect of "slob" hunters and shooters. But some DO say yes- usually because you had the courtesy to come ask.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 691 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

You do have a problem. Have you tried calling the sheriff's department and asking where legal places are that you might be able to shoot. It's an honest question. Good luck

Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The problem with this suggestion is that it could cause you lots of problems. The banks of creeks are owned by someone. If I caught someone shooting and trespassing on my place there would be a deputy sheriff and an arrest involved.
Not me. I would go contact them and find out what was going on. If they were looking for a place to shoot and were under the impression they were on public land, or just lost, I would help them find a place to shoot if they did not want to soot with me.
It would depend on their attitude when I contacted them as to the out come of the contact!