Where can I get a forward scope mount for a pre '64 Winchester model 94?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Where can I get a forward scope mount for a pre '64 Winchester model 94?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where can I get a forward scope mount for a pre '64 Winchester model 94?

Hey guys. I'm looking all over the web and I can only find the "scout rifle" mounts for the side ejecting 30-30s. Mine is top ejecting, and I can't find any mount that will sit far enough towards the business end to work. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1988 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 592

XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

There is a scout mount that replaces the rear sight. You would use a long eye releif scope.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

Alright. So what the link's telling me is I could use a mount for an angled ejection for my gun?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #5

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

"Alright. So what the link's telling me is I could use a mount for an angle eject for my gun? "

I would certainly think so as the mounts have nothing to do with the action if they are on the barrel. Think before you have the barrel drilled and tapped on a pre-64 as you will decrease the value by $200 or so. Plus it will cost you $50 or so to have the work done.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I Don't believe a pre-64 Winchester will be AE (angle eject). It will be marked AE after the model.

AE refers to how the shell casing comes out of the action. The standard Winchester 94 requires a side mount
(scope offset to the side) so the casing won't hit the scope. The AE models are usually tapped for a top mount scope.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1988 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 592

the XS requires that your rear sight be 4" from the receiver. You replace the rear sight with the scope mount and use a pistol or scout scope. You should not have to drill any holes.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #8

The XS mount IS only for the Angle Eject model as it uses the front scope mounting holes on the receiver(plus the dovetail). So I see no way except drilling 4 mounting holes in your barrel. I would not recommend it (IMHO) as these four shallow holes would have to hold the scope.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Are the screw holes covered by the iron sight on there now? All I'm seeing by looking at it is a groove that you can remove the sight from by tapping it out. It looks like you two have different theories on this one haha.

Last edited by Roger; 11-13-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #10

"Are the screw holes covered by the iron sight on there now? All I'm seeing by looking at it is a groove that you can remove the sight from by tapping it out. It looks like you two have different theories on this one haha. "

No. The XS mount uses the dovetail slot(groove) that you see in the barrel along with the two scope mount screw holes in the receiver on the Angle Eject model 94's. You could put a side-mount scope on your pre-64 model 94 with maybe no modification to your rifle.