Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Where can I get a forward scope mount for a pre '64 Winchester model 94? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/where-can-i-get-forward-scope-mount-pre-64-winchester-model-94-a-51608/)

Roger 11-11-2011 06:28 PM

Where can I get a forward scope mount for a pre '64 Winchester model 94?

Hey guys. I'm looking all over the web and I can only find the "scout rifle" mounts for the side ejecting 30-30s. Mine is top ejecting, and I can't find any mount that will sit far enough towards the business end to work. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks a lot.

JTJ 11-11-2011 06:44 PM

XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

jpattersonnh 11-11-2011 08:39 PM

There is a scout mount that replaces the rear sight. You would use a long eye releif scope.

Roger 11-11-2011 09:21 PM

Alright. So what the link's telling me is I could use a mount for an angled ejection for my gun?

hiwall 11-11-2011 10:16 PM

"Alright. So what the link's telling me is I could use a mount for an angle eject for my gun? "

I would certainly think so as the mounts have nothing to do with the action if they are on the barrel. Think before you have the barrel drilled and tapped on a pre-64 as you will decrease the value by $200 or so. Plus it will cost you $50 or so to have the work done.

Drriley 11-12-2011 01:10 PM

I Don't believe a pre-64 Winchester will be AE (angle eject). It will be marked AE after the model.

AE refers to how the shell casing comes out of the action. The standard Winchester 94 requires a side mount
(scope offset to the side) so the casing won't hit the scope. The AE models are usually tapped for a top mount scope.

JTJ 11-12-2011 10:09 PM

the XS requires that your rear sight be 4" from the receiver. You replace the rear sight with the scope mount and use a pistol or scout scope. You should not have to drill any holes.

hiwall 11-13-2011 02:10 AM

The XS mount IS only for the Angle Eject model as it uses the front scope mounting holes on the receiver(plus the dovetail). So I see no way except drilling 4 mounting holes in your barrel. I would not recommend it (IMHO) as these four shallow holes would have to hold the scope.

Roger 11-13-2011 08:28 PM

Are the screw holes covered by the iron sight on there now? All I'm seeing by looking at it is a groove that you can remove the sight from by tapping it out. It looks like you two have different theories on this one haha.

hiwall 11-13-2011 10:07 PM

"Are the screw holes covered by the iron sight on there now? All I'm seeing by looking at it is a groove that you can remove the sight from by tapping it out. It looks like you two have different theories on this one haha. "

No. The XS mount uses the dovetail slot(groove) that you see in the barrel along with the two scope mount screw holes in the receiver on the Angle Eject model 94's. You could put a side-mount scope on your pre-64 model 94 with maybe no modification to your rifle.