whats your favorite? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > whats your favorite?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
There's a bunch of threads on here about what's your favorite deer rifle, squirrel rifle, coyote rifle, elephant rifle...what have you. How about we go with what is your favorite hunting rifle, period? What is your favorite rifle for your favorite game, and why? Give us some details, favorite load for the rifle, favorite optics for the rifle, show us some pics. If your favorite quarry is targets, whats your favorite rifle for hunting those targets.
If I had to choose just ONE to hunt with it would be my little youth L/H 700 Remington in 7mm-08 with my 1 3/4x6 Leupold VX-III scope on it. I have taken everything for yots to elk with it. It kicks just a bit more than a 243, shoots nearly a flat as a 270 Win, and hits harder (better terminal performance) than either. It is light, short and very accurate. It don't get any better than that if you have to have just ONE!!!!
I guess that would qualify as my 'favorite'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #32

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM_Anthrax View Post
Take for example the Red Drum. In South Carolina they call it the Spot Tail Bass. In Texas they call it the Redfish. In Bremerton, they call the Sea Donkey the Bremerillo. In Port Orchard it is known as the Portopotomus.

Actually Bremelo (Sir Mix-a-lot had a song about them), and Port Orcas. But I will add Portopotomus to the list.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #33

As for the original post and question, I have favorite rifles for different types of hunting, but If I had to narrow it down to one hunting rifle, it would be my Sako TRG-S m995 in .30-06. It doesn't have the nice wood that Anna-P's Sako has, but the synthetic stock leaves me less worried about weather. The thing is dead nuts accurate, seems to be tollerant of bullet weights from 130 gr to 220 gr and MOA accurate or better with most every factory load I've tried, and sub MOA for sure with my handloads. The barel seems completely unaffected by warming up and cooling down, as a cold bore shot can be followed by 4-9 more shots that will stay inside an inch as the barrel warms up with no walking or wandering of the zero. This is my favorite feature of this rifle, as most other guns I've had will show some kind of change as the barrel warms up.

For woods hunting I still like my Marlin 336 in .30-30, but the Sako can do the same things, just in a slightly less handy size. So if I had to I could shed it, but I'd still want a .22 for small game, becasue the '06 would just flat ruin squirrels and rabbits.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I have several favorite rifles so I will go to my favorite rifle then my favorite hunting rifle.
As of lately it was my original, first LE Sniper Rifle (Top) that I had on the Team! I just purchased it after putting it in the gun case for the last time at the Metro PD over 28 years ago. Found out two months per my thread about it, they were trading it in. So it came back home after all those years. It is an Interarms MK-X with Zeiss Scope on it. And then my favorite hunting rifle is my Remington 700 CDL in 7MM Rem Mag. (bottom) Someday when I hit the lottery I am going to get a SAKO like Anna and my other friends here on the Forum!!!!

mark-x-2.jpg   g6443764-remington-700cdl.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Someday when I hit the lottery I am going to get a SAKO like Anna and my other friends here on the Forum!!!!
I kinda hit the lottery when I got my Sako. The vendor at the gunshow had taken it in on trade, and had never heard of Sako. I got the Sako plus an older Redfield scope plus $350 in trade for a Savage 10 in .22-250 with a Burris scope.

Saw a rifle like mine with a Bushnell scope that sold on Guns America for $1400, but I've seen them on Gunbroker without scopes for $750-900 from time to time. So, I feel pretty lucky about it.

I'd like to find another in 6.5x55mm.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #36

Liked 375 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 30

For busting deer, goats, pigs, feral donkeys and horses plus feral wild dogs is my 30/06AI on a M98 action using 61.5 gns of AR2209 and a 165gn Game King.

It'll group around 1" or there abouts at 100yds and has a B&C fibreglass stock, Timney trigger and Leupold 6X Compact 'scope on it weighing at around 3kgs neat makes it the perfect carry rifle.

My long range fox buster is a Ruger M77 22/250AI heavy barrelled set up with a Zeiss 3-12x 50 Duralyt on it using Hornady 60 gn Varmint projectiles in front of 35.5gn of AR2208(Varget to you Yanks).It's been bedded and floated and will produce under .6'' if I do my bit.
It just mulches fox's heads something chronic.

dscf0477.jpg   2013-02-04-18_33_45.jpg   317.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #37

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
As for the original post and question, I have favorite rifles for different types of hunting, but If I had to narrow it down to one hunting rifle, it would be my Sako TRG-S m995 in .30-06. It doesn't have the nice wood that Anna-P's Sako has, but the synthetic stock leaves me less worried about weather. The thing is dead nuts accurate, seems to be tollerant of bullet weights from 130 gr to 220 gr and MOA accurate or better with most every factory load I've tried, and sub MOA for sure with my handloads. The barel seems completely unaffected by warming up and cooling down, as a cold bore shot can be followed by 4-9 more shots that will stay inside an inch as the barrel warms up with no walking or wandering of the zero. This is my favorite feature of this rifle, as most other guns I've had will show some kind of change as the barrel warms up.

For woods hunting I still like my Marlin 336 in .30-30, but the Sako can do the same things, just in a slightly less handy size. So if I had to I could shed it, but I'd still want a .22 for small game, becasue the '06 would just flat ruin squirrels and rabbits.
If you go to http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/post-photo-youve-taken-any-photo-4876/index9.html #17934 you see the normal size Alaskan red squirrel. Once I tried to "Bark" one with my '06 and caught it between the back legs, we found the mask of the face and a hind leg!

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!