whats your favorite? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > whats your favorite?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1704 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM_Anthrax View Post
That 300 must kick like a sea donkey.
Boy that's a toughie because I have never been kicked by a sea donkey. Don't recall ever see'n one of them critters even???
OK enough smart a$$. Once again recoil is relative to the person pulling the trigger. To answer your question after 10 shots or so I start to feel it. I will say also it is the gun that got me into reloading because at the time I bought it Weatherby was still the only one making shells for it and I think a box back in those day's was 40.00. And from years of experience I know like most magnums it prefers a healthy dose of IMR 7828 to get it's best accuracy. I will admit as I get older I feel it just a little more but it is still a fun gun to shoot......

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

The Sea Donkey, as you might imagine, is attracted to salt water and the largest concentration is found near Navy bases and sea ports. Odd are you've seen one and not even realized it due to the tendency of locals to call them something else. Take for example the Red Drum. In South Carolina they call it the Spot Tail Bass. In Texas they call it the Redfish. In Bremerton, they call the Sea Donkey the Bremerillo. In Port Orchard it is known as the Portopotomus.

But I digress... Back when I was about 10 and 100 pounds, my uncle & his buddies though it would be fun to watch me shoot a woodchuck with his 300 Wby. I missed & got the snot kicked out of me, but the joke was on them because the muzzle blast set the hay field on fire.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM_Anthrax View Post
The Sea Donkey, as you might imagine, is attracted to salt water and the largest concentration is found near Navy bases and sea ports. Odd are you've seen one and not even realized it due to the tendency of locals to call them something else. Take for example the Red Drum. In South Carolina they call it the Spot Tail Bass. In Texas they call it the Redfish. In Bremerton, they call the Sea Donkey the Bremerillo. In Port Orchard it is known as the Portopotomus.

But I digress... Back when I was about 10 and 100 pounds, my uncle & his buddies though it would be fun to watch me shoot a woodchuck with his 300 Wby. I missed & got the snot kicked out of me, but the joke was on them because the muzzle blast set the hay field on fire.
The hay field part is funny but setting a 10 year old up to shoot a 300WBY is pure BS!!! They are a hand full for most adults and I have never understood how people can find humor in setting someone up to get the snot kicked out of them especially young shooters.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #24

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default MY Favorite, The AIAW

My favorite rifle is my 308 AIAW Folder with a NightForce NXS 8-32X56 scope with High Speed Turrets and Zero Stop an Atlas bipod and Tab Gear sling. With my 168 grain SMK hand loads it is a bad day if my average for 6 5 shot groups 100 yard is more the 0.5 moa. I have shot 5 shot 100 yard groups as small as 0.179 moa.

Last edited by samnev; 11-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #25

Liked 203 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 347

(in the voice of Walter Brennan of the Real McCoys) You whipper snappers and all yer new fangled toys, don't know a danged thing 'bout doin' nuthin' fer yerself, alas gotta have yer tools doit fer ya'!

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
That's what I am talking about. Mine is a 99 in 308. I also have a Model 70 Winchester in 300 Weatherby Mag ( no I mean Weatherby just as it is typed not Win.) that I am very fond of. Sorry!!! I couldn't do just one. And then there is a????
My BIL bought one. He is one of those guys with an alligator mouth and a hummingbird ass. He had to have more gun that all of us. He tried to be real macho shooting it and decided to port it to soften the recoil. To me it felt like a 30-06 but the muzzle blast was really HUGE after that. He doesn't reload so that started to hurt a little too. He ended up with my FIL Sears Ted Williams 30-06 to hunt with and that felt right at home.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarquez View Post
My BIL bought one. He is one of those guys with an alligator mouth and a hummingbird ass. He had to have more gun that all of us. He tried to be real macho shooting it and decided to port it to soften the recoil. To me it felt like a 30-06 but the muzzle blast was really HUGE after that. He doesn't reload so that started to hurt a little too. He ended up with my FIL Sears Ted Williams 30-06 to hunt with and that felt right at home.
Believe me I know the type. They would be better off with a 7mm-08 or 308, something they can hit with but there ego gets in the way. The 300+ magnums are not for everyone. I shoot one because every now and then I enjoy being a glutton for punishment......

Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #28

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

My favorite is a Ruger M77 MII blued 30.06 bolt action with a red laminated wood stock I boroughs at Wal Mart just after Bill Clinton. Was elected the first time. It's a beautiful deep blue finish and shoots about 1" groups at 100 yd with factory ammo. I have killed a couple deer with it years ago before quitting hunting a few years back. I bought it cause I wanted a quicker follow up shot than my Ruger No 1 could give.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For deer I use a Savage model 111 in the 30-06 caliber with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope (one of the older good scopes). Ammo is the Remington 180 grain core lokt soft points.

For turkey I use a Remington 870 super magnum, 26 inch barrel, bottomland mossy oak, Indian creek black diamond strike choke with winchesters supreme high velocity turkey loads~ 3 1/2 inch, 5 shot, 2 oz of lead. Here is how it patterns with 7.5 shot at 15 yards (I can't find the pic of the 40 yard shot with 5 shot).

For squirrel I use a marlin model 25n with a cheaper (I forget the brand) 3-9x40 scope. Pic of the target at 50 yards:

For targets I like my ruger mini-14. Center point 3-9x40 illuminated cross hairs. (Red/green)

Them of course you need the do-it-all weapon

Thanks for reading

image-2082538306.jpg   image-3563943756.jpg   image-1204863953.jpg   image-3814325343.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Im going to have to say The Abolt II .300WSM an Redfield combo is my favourite atm...nice light Mtn rifle!

It is always hard to look past the original beaut, Rem 700 sps & VX2 x50 scope... mmm